Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Disconnected - Sentry Mode off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, new owner to Tesla. I tried searching online for this but I don't see an exact match to my question. My wife and I have phone keys setup with our 2023 Model Y LR. When she has the car, obviously my phone key is disconnected. But sentry mode is also disconnected (I have the option to enable in order to see live camera). Does this mean that Sentry mode is disabled globally? Or if she looks at her Tesla app, will she see that her phone key is connected and Sentry mode is enabled (assuming she is not parked at a Favorite location or home)? Any help on this is appreciated...I'm still having a bit of a hard time figuring out what is a global setting versus what is per-profile?

Hello,

Sorry, I am not sure I understand the question you are asking. I "think" you are asking about the status of sentry mode in the app. The sentry mode setting in the app is a "car" setting, meaning that if its off, its off, and if its on, its on.

If your wife is driving the car, stops and the store and turns on sentry mode (either automatically via the setting to automatically turn it on, or manually in the car or in her Tesla app), and you open YOUR tesla app and look at that car, it will show the status of sentry mode for the car (in this case, ON, since I said in this example she turned it on).

Whether sentry mode turns on automatically or not is a profile setting, but the status of it in the Tesla app is a car status, not per person.

Not sure if thats what you are asking but it appears to be.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Sorry, I am not sure I understand the question you are asking. I "think" you are asking about the status of sentry mode in the app. The sentry mode setting in the app is a "car" setting, meaning that if its off, its off, and if its on, its on.

If your wife is driving the car, stops and the store and turns on sentry mode (either automatically via the setting to automatically turn it on, or manually in the car or in her Tesla app), and you open YOUR tesla app and look at that car, it will show the status of sentry mode for the car (in this case, ON, since I said in this example she turned it on).

Whether sentry mode turns on automatically or not is a profile setting, but the status of it in the Tesla app is a car status, not per person.

Not sure if thats what you are asking but it appears to be.
Hey jjrandorin, yes, I think you understood my question, sorry if I wasn't clear...but it's a weird issue for me. I want Sentry mode to be on all the time, whether I'm using the car or she is. I just noticed in the app today that it is turned off. Based on your reply, I'm thinking that I have my profile set to turn Sentry mode on when I leave the car but she does not. I'll have to make that change on her phone key when I get the chance. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Hey jjrandorin, yes, I think you understood my question, sorry if I wasn't clear...but it's a weird issue for me. I want Sentry mode to be on all the time, whether I'm using the car or she is. I just noticed in the app today that it is turned off. Based on your reply, I'm thinking that I have my profile set to turn Sentry mode on when I leave the car but she does not. I'll have to make that change on her phone key when I get the chance. Thanks for your help.
Sentry Mode is only active when the car is parked. The app shows you when Sentry is active, not whether you’ve enabled it. You can turn Sentry mode on or off in the app, but that’s not a “sticky” setting, so if you want to always enable or disable Sentry Mode, you need to do that in the car for each profile (Controls > Safety > Sentry Mode).

Upvote 0
Sentry Mode is only active when the car is parked. The app shows you when Sentry is active, not whether you’ve enabled it. You can turn Sentry mode on or off in the app, but that’s not a “sticky” setting, so if you want to always enable or disable Sentry Mode, you need to do that in the car for each profile (Controls > Safety > Sentry Mode).
Hi EVRider-FL, I guess I missed the part in the manual where it said that Sentry Mode was a per-profile setting. I thought since it was a security setting, it was a global setting. I got it turned on for my wife's profile now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi EVRider-FL, I guess I missed the part in the manual where it said that Sentry Mode was a per-profile setting. I thought since it was a security setting, it was a global setting. I got it turned on for my wife's profile now. Thanks.
Glad you were able to resolve this. The manual doesn’t specify which settings are saved in the profile, but most are.

Upvote 0