Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software feature suggestion for Keyless Drive (remote start)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to use the Keyless Drive feature more and have a simple software suggestion to make it more usable. Currently, when you enable keyless drive, the app (phone app) confirms your request, then gives you 2 minutes to get in the vehicle and drive. But each time you stop, you need to re-start. Example, I did a run to the dump, and picked up a sandwich on the way back yesterday - I had to use the app to start the car 4 times on this one trip (I know, not too big of a deal but...)

Why not "when engaging keyless drive with the app", ask how long you want it active? So operator could say for an hour, or even for the day? Or at the least, keep it engaged if the doors remain open and operator returns?

Each time I stepped out of the MX at the transfer station to remove something form the vehicle, I had to use the app's keyless drive again.

Even of you were to set the keyless drive option for 8 hours, the vehicle would still be locked, so no one could get in and drive it, unless they knew it was engaged, and were able to unlock the vehicle, and even if that did happen, it was your choice!

This would also be useful if you were heading somewhere with less or risky cellular coverage, which could make re-engaging keyless drive problematic.

Seems like a simple software enhancement no?

Last edited:
With the new model change to Bluetooth proximity like the 3/Y, this would be specific to the older models. Wile a great idea, I’m not sure they would spend time developing a feature for an out of production system.