Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quirks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving a new Tesla Model X for the past 6 months. Some quirks I have with the car include:

1. For a car with a quick acceleration, I find the acceleration on Autopilot to be very slow. If the car is on Autopilot and it had to slow down or stop, the rate of acceleration is super slow.

2. If on Autosteer and you do a lane change, I really do not understand why autosteer does not re-engage automatically once the lane change is complete. Most other car brands may not do the lane change for you, but re-engages autosteer once the lane change is complete.

3. What is the purpose of Enhanced Autopilot? Does anyone actually subscribe or purchase this feature? For the price of $6,000, it does not seem like you are getting a lot of useful additions as compared to the standard autopilot.

4. I have 2 garage doors connected via HomeLink. For some reason, the Tesla app only connects to my secondary garage door, not the primary. And there is no way of selecting which garage door should open through the app. Kindda Stupid.

I have been driving a new Tesla Model X for the past 6 months. Some quirks I have with the car include:

1. For a car with a quick acceleration, I find the acceleration on Autopilot to be very slow. If the car is on Autopilot and it had to slow down or stop, the rate of acceleration is super slow.

2. If on Autosteer and you do a lane change, I really do not understand why autosteer does not re-engage automatically once the lane change is complete. Most other car brands may not do the lane change for you, but re-engages autosteer once the lane change is complete.

3. What is the purpose of Enhanced Autopilot? Does anyone actually subscribe or purchase this feature? For the price of $6,000, it does not seem like you are getting a lot of useful additions as compared to the standard autopilot.

4. I have 2 garage doors connected via HomeLink. For some reason, the Tesla app only connects to my secondary garage door, not the primary. And there is no way of selecting which garage door should open through the app. Kindda Stupid.
WRT #4, are both garage doors at the same location? If yes, only one of them can be configured for auto-open on approach. But you should be able to select which one that is. In my case I have two doors configured, but they are 600 miles apart.

WRT #4, are both garage doors at the same location? If yes, only one of them can be configured for auto-open on approach. But you should be able to select which one that is. In my case I have two doors configured, but they are 600 miles apart.
So I am talking about the Tesla app, not the car itself. If you have more than one garage door, the app for some reason only opens the secondary garage door. It cannot be changed to open any other garage door :(

@icycool:
  1. Yes, autopilot’s acceleration is annemic. You can supplement by pressing the go pedal.
  2. My experience with pilot-assist in a Volvo is that it cuts in and out, leaving the question of who is in control. My guess is that Tesla intentionally selected an approach of you deactivated it, you have to re-activate it, which I think has some merit. But automatic re-engagement of autopilot is an often wished-for feature. Perhaps Tesla will some day make it like that.
  3. There is no subscriotion option for EAP. Yes, $6k is steep for auto lane change. I think this is ripe for Tesla to adjust their price. They would get a lot more purchasing it at a lower price.
  4. I have 3 garage doors and 3 Teslas, all programmed to all 3 doors but each configured to open one of them automatically. Here are my results when I use Homelink in the app:
  • Car in stall 1 opens door 2. (2023 S)
  • Car in stall 2 opens door 2. (2017 X)
  • Car in stall 3 opens door 1. (2018 3). This car used to belong to stall 1 but was recently re-configured to stall 3 for auto-open.
My guess is that my older cars open the doors they were originally configured for. The new car inexplicably goes to door 2, confirming your experience.​

Last edited:
Reactions: towndrunk
Yes, autopilot’s acceleration is annemic. You can supplement by pressing the go pedal.

It definitely is sloooow pre-FSD-Beta. On FSD Beta, it's hugely improved and generally quite good. 90% of the time it accelerates sufficiently. Stop signs are still too sluggish for my taste and sometimes when accelerating from stop when a light turns green it's a touch slow.