Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 8.1 2018.32.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice that makes sense. Does that mean everyone will get all versions though? Like is 32.6 coming to me just when it gets to my ring? Or does it ever just bypass it and I get like 32.7 or something, where everyone is all on a different version?

Just my guess: As they're pushing an update out gradually, they may issue a new update before everyone has the earlier one. In that case, when they get to your car you'll get the latest available update. So you may never see the intermediate ones.

It's also possible that some cars are getting the newest update that they're not yet ready to roll out to everyone, so you may get an earlier update than some. In other words, maybe 2018.xx.2 has shown to be pretty stable, and so they start pushing it out to everyone as server capacity is available. But maybe they're ready to start rolling out 2018.xx.3 on a limited basis. So your neighbor gets xx.3 and two days later you get xx.2. I don't know if this is happening, but it would make sense if it did.

What I can say for sure is that you will not necessarily get every update. Ones that have been superseded will get skipped over. If you have a particular bug and call service, they might decide to push the very next version to you in hopes that fixes it. But otherwise when new versions appear rapidly you will probably leap-frog over some of them.

Yeah it's def on wifi so that's good. How often do they typically get a new software update? Is it like a monthly thing or more quarterly or is it more like a once or twice a year type thing?

I think I've gotten an update once every two or three weeks. They are continually improving the software, and pushing out the updates as fast as they can consistent with server capacity and reasonable caution, to avoid a new bug going out to too many folks at once.

Edited to add: I strongly doubt that it matters whether your car is connected to wi-fi or LTE. It's only very recently that they even enabled wi-fi for the Model 3.

I'm still on 24.1. Haven't been updated for 2 months. Am on Wifi most of the time (home and work). So being on WiFI doesn't necessarily mean updates. Tried to get them to push and update because the phone echo bug really is annoying. They said they don't do that in our area and I should just wait for an update. Earlier this week a reply from them via email said I had the latest. I called BS on that.

• Informative
Reactions: SJC3
I strongly doubt that it matters whether your car is connected to wi-fi or LTE. It's only very recently that they even enabled wi-fi for the Model 3.

Well, before they let us connect to random Wifi, it did connect to service center wifi only.
People were said to get more updates when car was in for service.
I took to parking in the service center parking lot a couple times just to get linked to their Wifi and I did (in one case) get an update soon after.

I just got this update too.

So far, each time I got back in the car it has resumed playing my last song from my USB flash drive. I hope they actually fixed that !

Previously it was more likely to switch to trying to play things from my Bluetooth phone even though I always just want it to play USB music.

Well, no such luck on that. It worked a bunch of times in a row, then went back to old behavior of switching sources much of the time.