Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOFTWARE ver 2019.16 rear collision alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know we had this. I knew we had a forward collision alarm but not a rear one but apparenlty we do.

This afternoon we were driving along nice and calm and all of a sudden a schreeching alarm went off.

Scared the bejeebers outta me. I looked at the screen and saw a red car go behind me at about a 45 degree angle.

I didn't have the rear view camera on at that time, for a change. Dunno why I didn't. But I think I'm glad I didn't see that idiot coming.

I guess a red car means it was almost an accident.

Two things...there is no version 16 software. There are however different versions that begin with 2019.16 such as 2019.16.2.

Also, this is the Model S section of TMC, but in your signature you say you have a Model 3MR, are you sure you're posting in the right place?

Interesting about that rear collision alarm, I'm not sure how I'd react to that. Certainly don't have that feature in my ancient AP1 Model S.

Bruce.

Two things...there is no version 16 software. There are however different versions that begin with 2019.16 such as 2019.16.2.

Also, this is the Model S section of TMC, but in your signature you say you have a Model 3MR, are you sure you're posting in the right place?

Interesting about that rear collision alarm, I'm not sure how I'd react to that. Certainly don't have that feature in my ancient AP1 Model S.

Bruce.
========
Well, many people just refer to the 16 part of the version because all of them from this year start with 19. That's sorta presumed.

As for being in the Model S --- guess I got my eye teeth crossed and couldn't see straight.

Not the first mistake I've ever made. Oh nooooo.

Yeah, I had never heard of a rear collision alarm before either. Didn't see it in the release notes. But that's what happened. Alarm went off and saw a red car behind me and off to the side on an angle by the time I could look at the screen.

I presume the alarm went off because it saw a collision coming and the other driver swerved to miss us. He must not have been paying attention or something.

But the alarm didn't give us much time to brace ourselves or accelerate out of his way ( if there was room ).

Nevertheless I would rather have it than not have it.

I hope I don't get to test it again.

Reactions: ChadS
there is 2019.16 version indeed @bmah

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 5.49.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 5.49.15 PM.png
    450 KB · Views: 73

Its semantics, but the FIRMWARE is 2019.16.X, while we are on SOFTWARE version (V9) as I understand it. Model 3s have only been delivered with software version 9, so in general we (model 3 owners) do not talk about the "software" because we all have the same "V9" software.

Since @bmah is a moderator and I believe has a model S (and this was originally posted in the model S forum), there are users there that still have "Software V8".

I am just guessing, but that could be what he is referring to. @bmah is really knowledgable, so i am making a guess that is the distinction he was making. The distinctions are more important to the model S (and maybe X) owners but distinctions they are nonetheless.

Newbie to this thread. We have not been notified of installation of this upgrade. Is that because we took delivery 9-23-18, and others with earlier purchase have it—which would be equitable? I see you have 1000 plus miles. We are at 1500 so my theory of delay may be wrong. We did include FSD with original purchase of the M3.

@Intl Professor, if you're not getting software updates, be sure your vehicle is joined to a wi-fi network where you normally park it. TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker shows that roughly 70% of the Tesla fleet has a 2019.16 version of firmware installed. Many software updates only go out to cars that are logged into wi-fi networks when they are parked. I personally seem to get software updates a couple days after the mass-deployment starts.

For the OP, rear collision alarms are good with me. 10 years ago while on the motorcycle while waiting to make a left turn into my neighborhood, I was just about wiped out by an inattentive driver. They looked down at their radio and didn't see my turn signal or brake lights. Luckily, they looked up in time to go into a full panic stop. Hearing screeching tires behind me, I popped the clutch to try and get moving a little. I got moving a little, but still got tapped from behind (bent the exhaust into the tire, melted the tire a little, but I didn't fall down, so not crazy damage). I still leave extra space between me and the vehicle in front of me and pay attention to vehicles behind me as I slow down. I'll run "orange" (yellow/red) lights when I see the person behind me is tailgating bad enough that they wouldn't be able to stop if I did.

@Intl Professor, if you're not getting software updates, be sure your vehicle is joined to a wi-fi network where you normally park it. TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker shows that roughly 70% of the Tesla fleet has a 2019.16 version of firmware installed. Many software updates only go out to cars that are logged into wi-fi networks when they are parked. I personally seem to get software updates a couple days after the mass-deployment starts.

For the OP, rear collision alarms are good with me. 10 years ago while on the motorcycle while waiting to make a left turn into my neighborhood, I was just about wiped out by an inattentive driver. They looked down at their radio and didn't see my turn signal or brake lights. Luckily, they looked up in time to go into a full panic stop. Hearing screeching tires behind me, I popped the clutch to try and get moving a little. I got moving a little, but still got tapped from behind (bent the exhaust into the tire, melted the tire a little, but I didn't fall down, so not crazy damage). I still leave extra space between me and the vehicle in front of me and pay attention to vehicles behind me as I slow down. I'll run "orange" (yellow/red) lights when I see the person behind me is tailgating bad enough that they wouldn't be able to stop if I did.

Many thanks!

Its semantics, but the FIRMWARE is 2019.16.X, while we are on SOFTWARE version (V9) as I understand it. Model 3s have only been delivered with software version 9, so in general we (model 3 owners) do not talk about the "software" because we all have the same "V9" software.

Correction: In 2018, Model 3 cars were delivered with v8. Version 9 began with 2018.42.2. My model 3 was delivered with 2018.28.5 - definitely version 8.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

Since @bmah is a moderator and I believe has a model S (and this was originally posted in the model S forum), there are users there that still have "Software V8".

I am just guessing, but that could be what he is referring to. @bmah is really knowledgable, so i am making a guess that is the distinction he was making. The distinctions are more important to the model S (and maybe X) owners but distinctions they are nonetheless.
========
Yeah, I dunno how I goofed up and put it in the Model S forum. My mistake.

====

I like to keep the rear camera on all the time. I like being able to see what is coming at me from behind and can see blind spot even better than the mirror.