Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar output all wonky lately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My solar output on a sunny cloudless day has been very low since June 17th. I usually get 70-80 kWh per day production and since then I barely get 50. Any ideas on things I can try or are there any diagnostics I can run? Or should I just call Tesla? Anyone have any similar experiences?

solar output.jpg

Did you bother checking the solar panels themselves.

Dirt buildup (they should be kept clean), LEAVES, bird poop, damaged panel from skyfall, etc.

If panels are partially covered it could be a problem for the whole string.

A cheap $20 camera like Wyze mounted outside to watch the panels if not easily accessible (2nd story) isn't a bed idea.

Depending on the specifics (and there are lots) the heat can reduce solar efficiency by up to 25% which seems inline with your reduction.

Try overlaying temp history for say the last two weeks on top of output and see if it looks like a reasonable.

My solar output on a sunny cloudless day has been very low since June 17th. I usually get 70-80 kWh per day production and since then I barely get 50. Any ideas on things I can try or are there any diagnostics I can run? Or should I just call Tesla? Anyone have any similar experiences?

View attachment 825914
It looks like you have two inverters, and one of them is not working properly. Appears it is shutting down and restarting every few minutes from 8am to 4pm. The other one looks okay. Would recommend you call and report this problem. It could be one of your inverters is failing or there is a poor wire connection. Either way it need to be investigated and fixed.

It looks like you have two inverters, and one of them is not working properly. Appears it is shutting down and restarting every few minutes from 8am to 4pm. The other one looks okay. Would recommend you call and report this problem. It could be one of your inverters is failing or there is a poor wire connection. Either way it need to be investigated and fixed.

Is that why we see those really extreme spikes during day? I was wondering.

Is it also possible that the inverter is getting too much power? Hooked up (by mistake) slightly more than it can handle?

I like the theory that an inverter is having an issue. Any possibility your inverters are in the sun? Mine starts derating at 45C (113F) which seems to only effect one inverter, the one most in the sun. I checked the inverter temps with one of these laser temp guns from Hope Depot.

Anyway, I would call Tesla ASAP since it may take them a while to check it out.

PS. I assume you did basic things like cycle the inverters and associated breakers.

Last edited:
If the problem inverter is in the sun, and it’s overheating to excessive outside temp and low coolant; would it be worth wild to temporarily shield it was direct exposure Nutella Tesla shows up.

How good is it to keep power cycling due to overheating?

I have the panels with 2 Tesla inverters.

Odd thing is in my Tesla account the service request says "Damage to inverter reported. May not impact solar production" but it is indeed impacting me and not sure where they got the damage part from. I was not happy to see my Power bill take such a huge chunk out of my banked savings.

My inverters are in my garage so its not roasting in the sun and the other side of the garage wall does not get much sun exposure.

I reached out to support again and they said they are waiting for Tier2 to investigate?

Last edited:
Update to those wondering. They came out and replaced my inverter and it promptly exploded when powered on. I guess exploded is a bit dramatic but sparks flew, big pop and smoke. This was shortly after the guy said I wonder why that jumper was there let’s try this. 😂 They came out last week with a new one and replaced it. They even bumped up my scheduled appointment time by a week as oroingally they told me it would be 2-3 weeks.

Back up and running except for my power readings are always saying 100% is going to my house all the time and now after an app update all I see is panel output and nothing for grid or home. Very weird indeed. Maybe my Neurio or whatever it’s called needs to be replaced also.

Attachments

• 873D4D94-4A7C-4783-A1D1-6D344240D578.jpeg
    873D4D94-4A7C-4783-A1D1-6D344240D578.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 41