Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Sound in Reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when I put the gear into reverse, it’s dead quiet, until I engage the brakes. With the brake pedal pushed down, there’s noticeable noise I’m assuming from the pads/rotors. Not a heavy grinding or screeching sound - wondering if the sound is normal??? It sounds like a soft grind.

How new is your car? This is normal for new/less used brakes. I recently had new brakes put on my other car, and they made noise for some time, I guess as I scrubbed off factory layer on them. If you're in a damp environment, make sure you use the brakes hard every so often, to keep the braking surface clean, and rust free.

This isn't a as much of a symptom of your brakes being new as it is a symptom of a car with regenerative braking. This is worsened when it's wet out. If you drive around barely using the brakes (especially if wet) then put it in park it clamps down the normal driving brakes to the rotors with significant force. Then when you unpark the pads will sometimes get stuck to the rotors. I live on a hill so I don't use the brakes at all when driving into my garage and this happens almost every time I put the car in reverse.