Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 14th Reuse - CRS-15 - SLC-40 - Return 8/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just outside to watch the ISS pass overhead and was hoping to spot the Dragon behind it, but no luck. The NASA Spot the Station website said that the ISS would be visible from my location at 5:24AM my time, max height 45 degrees. At that time the sky was starting to lighten but I could easily see it. However I was not able to see the Dragon. I know it is well behind the station now, but don’t know how far behind.

NASA TV coverage of the Dragon rendezvous and capture will start Monday at 5:30AM PDT. My good luck is that the ISS will be visible from my location (unless it is too cloudy) for 4 minutes starting at 5:17AM.

I can’t find information stating when NASA expects the Dragon to berth, and I don’t know how far apart the ISS and Dragon will be tomorrow at 5:17AM PDT. So I don’t know if I will be able to see Dragon as a distinct point of light at that time from my location. I assume they will be very close and likely will appear as a single point from where I am.

The ISS and Dragon passed over Tucson at 4:44AM for 2 minutes this morning, but the Dragon was so close there was only one object to the naked eye, The cool thing about this pass was that the ISS was coming out of the shadow of the earth and instead of coming up from the horizon it just appeared very high ( something like 62 degrees when it appeared) It was visible until it disappeared at the horizon in the East as it was heading towards the sun. Very cool

Last edited: