Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: AsiaSat 8 (Aug 5th)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were certainly no landing legs on it. The press release said there wouldn't. There was a piece in the feed where they said "First Stage Refire" (happened well after separation) however this is likely the small burn to put it on a path that will cause it to safely burn up in the atmosphere/crash into the ocean (and not crash down on someone's house).

I was very happy they got through this one with minimal delay. Hopefully we will have more rapid launches!

There were certainly no landing legs on it. The press release said there wouldn't. There was a piece in the feed where they said "First Stage Refire" (happened well after separation) however this is likely the small burn to put it on a path that will cause it to safely burn up in the atmosphere/crash into the ocean (and not crash down on someone's house).

So, I left the iPad running with volume cranked as I fell asleep and was somehow coherent enough to catch the launch at 02:00. My ears also pricked up when they announced "First Stage Refire", but I came to the same conclusion as you knowing that the F9 v1.1 needs all its fuel for GTO. As Mario pointed out, it was interesting to see the longer First Stage burn vs. LEO launches.

I love hearing LC announce the downrange distance and velocity as it really picks up speed. It's amazing how uneventful the trip to >1000 m/s velocities is.

I think I'm at a tipping point where I'd really like to take some vacation to visit famioly in Sarasota and make the trip over to Canaveral for one of these launches. Falcon Heavy or Dragon Abort test would be pretty worthwhile...

Well, apparently they did do *something* with it:

Twitter / elonmusk: High velocity reentry (2700 ...
High velocity reentry (2700 lbs/sqft) appeared to succeed, but, as expected, not enough propellant to land for this and the next mission.

- - - Updated - - -

It's am impressive difference. Usually the first stage separates at T+00:02:30, but on this launch the burn lasted all the way to +3 minutes so indeed they had to burn up all the fuel and had nothing left for the slowdown burn. Also interesting was the new frame shown this launch for the second stage. Was that the propellant tank that showed the bubbling liquid?

According to reddit that bubbling liquid was the first stage propellant tank. Which is why it looks so... empty... haha!

Edit: well I am getting conflicting information now, as I look into it, That might be the Stage 2 tank.... hrmmm.

Can't post a copy because this forum doesn't like animated gifs... But here are the two captures pre and post cutoff (I take no credit for the image uploads... they were not mine).
View image: instav
View image: insta

Last edited: