Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Specialty EV License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have sent a request to the Executive Director of Drive Electric Florida to pursue this suggestion and recommended that they approach Senator Brandes, a big advocate for EVs, to sponsor a bill, but have not heard back yet.

Larry
I received a response from the Executive Director of Drive Electric Florida.

Sounds good to me! I'll reach out once we've got some visibility into the rest of our legislative agenda.
Matt

I don't know when he will be able to get to this request.

Larry

I suppose when and if the time arrives, we should have a vote on which wording we want on the tag.
I genuinely appreciate the suggestions posted here and encourage everyone to continue to post your thoughts. Still, in setting realistic expectations, you shouldn't assume that this design will be subject to a voting process.

As a practical matter, the organization funding this specialty plate request will be making the ultimate decision regarding design. That organization will be coordinating with the sponsoring legislator, who will also have significant input as well.

I hope this doesn't stifle everyone's enthusiasm, but I wanted to be transparent regarding my understanding of the process.

Larry

I genuinely appreciate the suggestions posted here and encourage everyone to continue to post your thoughts. Still, in setting realistic expectations, you shouldn't assume that this design will be subject to a voting process.

As a practical matter, the organization funding this specialty plate request will be making the ultimate decision regarding design. That organization will be coordinating with the sponsoring legislator, who will also have significant input as well.

I hope this doesn't stifle everyone's enthusiasm, but I wanted to be transparent regarding my understanding of the process.

Larry
I don't think we are stifled, but certainly disappointed it is not a group decision. Is money spent to fund lobbyists? Naïve about passing bills, who else receives money at the state level? Is it possible lobbyists were needed for each of the 100+ Florida specialty plates?

I don't think we are stifled, but certainly disappointed it is not a group decision. Is money spent to fund lobbyists? Naïve about passing bills, who else receives money at the state level? Is it possible lobbyists were needed for each of the 100+ Florida specialty plates?
John,

As that sage philosopher, Dirty Harry, once said: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Depending on the level of difficulty of a task, you have to decide whether to DIY it or hire a professional. When I needed to install an 80 amp Tesla Wall Connector, I hired a qualified electrician to keep me from getting electrocuted.

Likewise, most organizations that need to get legislation passed employ qualified professionals to do those tasks. Those professionals are called registered lobbyists. Can you try to DYI legislation without a professional? Sure, but don't be surprised if you don't get very far. Believe me, I've tried it.

Our club can't afford to keep a lobbyist on staff, but we can afford dues to be a voting member of Drive Electric Florida. They have a lobbyist to assist us. As I mentioned, there's no guarantee that this specialty plate will get to the top of the priority list right away. Still, in my opinion, Drive Electric Florida is the appropriate organization to shepherd this activity with our club's assistance and some input from this forum.

This endeavor will cost time and money. It's not unreasonable, as in all things, for those footing the bill to make the final decision. As I said, forum members are encouraged to post their thoughts, but it would be unrealistic to think it will be a group decision where everyone gets an equal vote.

Larry

Reactions: Ciaopec
John,

As that sage philosopher, Dirty Harry, once said: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Depending on the level of difficulty of a task, you have to decide whether to DIY it or hire a professional. When I needed to install an 80 amp Tesla Wall Connector, I hired a qualified electrician to keep me from getting electrocuted.

Likewise, most organizations that need to get legislation passed employ qualified professionals to do those tasks. Those professionals are called registered lobbyists. Can you try to DYI legislation without a professional? Sure, but don't be surprised if you don't get very far. Believe me, I've tried it.

Our club can't afford to keep a lobbyist on staff, but we can afford dues to be a voting member of Drive Electric Florida. They have a lobbyist to assist us. As I mentioned, there's no guarantee that this specialty plate will get to the top of the priority list right away. Still, in my opinion, Drive Electric Florida is the appropriate organization to shepherd this activity with our club's assistance and some input from this forum.

This endeavor will cost time and money. It's not unreasonable, as in all things, for those footing the bill to make the final decision. As I said, forum members are encouraged to post their thoughts, but it would be unrealistic to think it will be a group decision where everyone gets an equal vote.

Larry
Larry, thank you for explanation as I'm on very unfamiliar ground. If it was an 80 amp Wall Connector, I feel highly qualified to tackle any aspect of it safely. Have you received any reply from Drive Electric Florida? If yes, will they tell you where it sits in their priority as a 2021, 2022, or 2023 project? Pardon my impatience.

Just found this thread in looking for a new EV centric Florida plate for a Tesla I plan on getting in the next 6 months, hopefully; with that said I would only spend the extra money if the plate substantially highlighted electric vehicles in a aesthetically pleasing way… otherwise I’d just get one of the environmental plates that matches up color wise to my new car. Anything with basic white or that looks like a billboard for drive electric Florida isn’t likely to convince me. Just my two cents.

I hope you're making sure the plates are made from a sustainable product like bamboo or soy
What is not sustainable about aluminum?
It is the most recycled metal with over 75% of all aluminum ever made still in use.

Reactions: Ciaopec
We have to wait for the next legislative session. Over the summer, I will contact two Tesla lobbyists in Tallahassee for their support. Maybe they know a reason why Florida doesn't have an EV plate. I'm getting the feeling there so much noise on bills, it's very hard to achieve attention. A lobbyist's job is to cut through the noise and maybe that's what it takes.

Reactions: UltradoomY