Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With spotify in the car, can you pick a station for it to play like slacker and have it give you random songs to thumbs up and down? I know there are playlists, but I don't really like listening to the same exact songs, I can just hook my phone up and use those songs, I want a variety.

I would just use slacker for this, but the gods at tesla decided to take away my ability to login to that.

No. why you ask? Because the tesla Spotify client is a horrible half baked attempt at a media client. Sadly, after years of waiting for a native Spotify client they gave us one, and I am still using the one on my phone because it actually works.

The lack of buffering/caching is also a major issue. I drive through dead network areas regularly and while my IOS client is smart enough to deal with this, the tesla client just craps the bed. Sometimes I have to reboot the car to get it to reconnect.

Tesla's Spotify client is like a summer code camp project. At least they are consistent.

I believe I found how to get stations. I search an artist and then click the WiFi button on it. That puts a station in
What I discovered that enabled me to set up genre stations was to search on a representative song (not the artist), and while it is playing, press the '+' sign at the right of the display. I then have a station based off of that song. Finally!

What I discovered that enabled me to set up genre stations was to search on a representative song (not the artist), and while it is playing, press the '+' sign at the right of the display. I then have a station based off of that song. Finally!

Yes, that is what I was going to say. I press the right button and ask for a song. If it finds it and plays it, I hit the plus sign. If it can't find it, I ask for another song from same artist until it finds one and then hit the plus.
My musical tastes find very few matches, so I have to ask for quite a few until it finds one ;-)