Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stains on PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have a secret weapon to get mutant bird (maybe squirrel?) dropping stains out of PPF? (pics)

These were on the car for 3-hours, in the shade before I noticed and cleaned off. Xpel with Ceramic Pro, about 1.5yrs ago. Have tried ONR, isopropyl (70%), clay bar and Simple Green.

This youtuber has been torture testing ppf films and trying different methods when removing stains - see if these help:....

Interesting, thanks for the links. I don't know that I would have had the guts to try mineral spirits. I couldn't stand it more than a day and peeled the PPF off the hood. Will probably get it re-wrapped, but also thinking of removing the rest since it has yellowed a bit more than I'd expect after just 2yrs.

yikes. I have xpel on mine too and it cost a small fortune. Would a rewrap be covered by warranty due to the symptoms you’re seeing?

It probably would have, come to think of it. But I wasn't really happy with the film or application, especially the last year. My X is white, and on most of the edges of the film it would just collect dirt. I tried using a q-tip & isopropyl alcohol to clean, but no luck. This probably could have been fixed, but the shop I used is 1.5hrs away, and I didn't have the time/patience to deal with it... This was my first experience with PPF, and I think going to a local shop would have been helpful. I just didn't see many in my area.

How has yours been holding up?

It probably would have, come to think of it. But I wasn't really happy with the film or application, especially the last year. My X is white, and on most of the edges of the film it would just collect dirt. I tried using a q-tip & isopropyl alcohol to clean, but no luck. This probably could have been fixed, but the shop I used is 1.5hrs away, and I didn't have the time/patience to deal with it... This was my first experience with PPF, and I think going to a local shop would have been helpful. I just didn't see many in my area.

How has yours been holding up?

I've only had it on a month so it's too soon to say but they did install it so that most edges are wrapped under so that you can't feel it and it wont catch the dirt anywhere visible.

geezus it comes full circle. you buy ppf so that you can have protection and less maintenance than paint. and then now you have to maintain and buy products to maintain your ppf so that it can help you better maintain the paint underneath. it never ends.
Only needed if your PPF is really in bad shape. In 15 months I've never had to use it and my PPF looks like new. Quality PPF is self-healing, which means that small scratches can easily be removed with sun or heat. However if some harsh chemicals get on the PPF, for example, without a protectant like a ceramic coating it might create a foggy color or something. PPF renew can help remove this and bring back the new finish. Then apply a protective coating to make it easier to maintain with maintenance washes. PPF isn't bulletproof BUT it does go a long way to protection from rock chips and scratches to the paint which are much more difficult to deal with.