Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering "sticks" after autopilot disengage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

New to Tesla ownership. Bought a '20 Model 3 used from Tesla at the end of December '23. The past couple of weeks I've noticed an issue with steering. Car is great when staring a new drive, and handles smooth and fluidly. If I engage autopilot or FSD mode, the car does great until I disengage autopilot. Then, the steering becomes incredibly stiff, and requires a bit of force to steer. More force than when the autopilot nags you to apply steering force. It gets stiff enough that if I try autopilot again, and the road has any significant curves or turns, the autopilot will disengage as if I had manually grabbed and pulled the wheel. If I pull over and shut the car off, then start a new drive, the car handles fine again. My software is all up to date, and I can't help but feel that this is a software issue. Anyone have any thoughts? I've searched the forums already, and haven't seen anyone else describe this issue. The closest thing I could find to my situation was this post on Reddit.

Cheers!