Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else think the steering wheel diameter on the Model Y is too small? I'm kind of a big guy and the steering wheel is about an inch and a half smaller in diameter compared to my previous Model S. It feels more like a golf cart steering wheel. Am I wrong?

It's a bit small. It actually *looks* even smaller because the interior is so spacious and minimalistic. But yes it's smaller than wheels in vehicles I've owned in the past for sure. It took a little getting used to but I like it, it feels sportier and leads to a bit less effort to turn (your hands don't have to move as far--think of the rotation of Earth around the sun in 365 days vs. Mars (in a larger diameter) orbit of 687 days.)

Reactions: EVChris and Nakk
It's a bit small. It actually *looks* even smaller because the interior is so spacious and minimalistic. But yes it's smaller than wheels in vehicles I've owned in the past for sure. It took a little getting used to but I like it, it feels sportier and leads to a bit less effort to turn (your hands don't have to move as far--think of the rotation of Earth around the sun in 365 days vs. Mars (in a larger diameter) orbit of 687 days.)
Once Elon gets us to Mars, I'd like to start the first drinking establishment and call it the "Mars Bar" (is that copyrighted?) ;) Seriously though, steering wheels just take up space and block views, smaller the better. Would probably be best to dump the steering wheels and go with a Joystick.

Attachments

• Bee Holder.jpg
    Bee Holder.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 153
  • Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Does anyone else think the steering wheel diameter on the Model Y is too small? I'm kind of a big guy and the steering wheel is about an inch and a half smaller in diameter compared to my previous Model S. It feels more like a golf cart steering wheel. Am I wrong?
It is sporty, but I’d like it a little larger also. It would make it easier for me to hold the wheel with my right hand down low. And it would be less twitchy.

It's smaller than BMW's (which is all I've been driving for the last decade). Tesla screwed up my delivery and gave me a Model 3 LR loaner and the steering wheel was the first thing I noticed. Though, after taking delivery of my MYP, it feels better in the MYP than the M3LR, not sure why, probably just got use to it.