Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Studded Tires - Should they do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - wondering if anyone has noticed this wierd occurence as well. I have a set of

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
235/45 R 18 98 T XL

on my Tesla - I got the car in March last year so they were on for 2 months, maybe 6000K. Then they came off, and were put back on Mid October (That's what happens when you live in the GWN). Anyways, I was looking at them the other day and noticed that EVERY stud on the LEFT front tire has disappeared. Just the first row closest to the outside - very strange.......

I am phoning the dealer today and am going to see what they can do for me, but that is a little bizarre. I was thinking it might be due to traction control (I have a super icy driveway) or whatever - Thoughts?

(All other tires are perfect, no stud loss, and no wear issues.....)

Cheers from BC, Canada

Sounds like you have a toe-in alignment issue. (The tire is probably pointed slightly inward (toward the middle of the car) when it should be pointed straight ahead.) That causes the tread, especially on the outside of the tire, to scrub constantly and that's my guess as to why the studs are gone. It's the lateral, scrubbing type, force against them v. the up/down, in/out of just rolling straight down the road.

Reactions: KenC
Hmm - of course had everything aligned when I got them, didn't when we swapped as the summer tires were brand new, and who expects having to realign for tire swap - have an appt tomorrow to get it checked, and will reupdate. Thanks for suggestion.........

Studs are metal spikes affixed to winter tires. The R3 are studless tires (their R9 equivalent are studded).

Either you meant the flexible rubble antenna/pip things, which are really nothing at all. Or the actual tread blocks. If the tread block is wearing unevenly, then either you have a camber issue and/or toe issue and/or inflation issue.

If it's just the outermost tread blocks on the front left tire, then it's likely isolated to the left front geometry, so likely the camber has that individual tire leaning outward. Underinflation also puts more wear on the edges relative to the center (particular the outer edge if the tire is also cambered that way).

Sorry, I thought R3's were studded. (Nomenclature issue)

Definitely have the studded tires. Sooooo, the STUDS are ripped out - Big hole where they used to reside.

The weird thing is that with a tire that is not toed in or cambered correctly, I assume that you would get some uneven tread wear, like REALLY noticable tread wear. But there isn't - Sipes are still in good shape, and nothing looks untowards - just no studs. I have a tire depth gauge. I'll go out in a bit and do some measurements, and post for shits and giggles.

Cheers