Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Miami, FL - Coral Gables (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6DA52FCF-D0A2-42DD-941B-95563CB839B8.jpeg
Just placed my order for a P3D and I noticed that they are planning on opening a supercharger across from my work on US1 next to the University of Miami. However, when I went to see the location, I couldn’t find any evidence of construction at all. Anyone know when they expect construction to begin or even the approximate location. Can’t wait to join the family.

Those pins on Tesla's site for "coming soon" superchargers are simply placeholders so you can't really use them to determine exactly where the supercharger will be. Typically, it will be within a couple of miles of the marked location. It may also be anywhere from weeks away from construction to years away. Often, an internet sleuth will find a building permit online to determine exactly where the charger will end up.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I'm curious about how important the wall chargers are b/c i have to install in two residences & just got a quote of $2800 for one in chicago

UMC Universal Mobile Cord
HPWC High Performance Wall Connector

HPWC is slight higher charging (which has never made a difference to me)
UMC is the cord that comes with the car. With the NEMA 14-50 adapter, is probably the most common EV charging solution.
Installing a NEMA 14-50 socket is a common thing, most importantly, it doesn't tell the electrician "rich customer"

UMC Universal Mobile Cord
HPWC High Performance Wall Connector

HPWC is slight higher charging (which has never made a difference to me)
UMC is the cord that comes with the car. With the NEMA 14-50 adapter, is probably the most common EV charging solution.
Installing a NEMA 14-50 socket is a common thing, most importantly, it doesn't tell the electrician "rich customer"
thanks for the info, appreciate

I'm in Brooklyn, NY at our Brooklyn home for a few weeks. Our home is a typical brownstone/limestone home that was built back in 1899 when there were no cars (hence, no garages). The challenge in charging our Model 3 LR-RWD is to find a supercharger/urbancharger that we have free access to. It's not easy because almost all Telsa chargers are found in garages where you have to PAY to get to the chargers. This defeats one of the purposes of having and electric car: save money as opposed to paying $40+ for gas.

For those who may not be familiar with NYC's parking fees, let's just say they're within the Mafioso ripoff range. Like $30-50+ for parking!!

Because of their anti-unionism, there are no Walmarts within the 5 boros of NYC. The closest Walmart is just over the NYC Queens border in Valley Stream within a big shopping mall area where there are free parking spaces for mall shoppers... and a bunch Urban Chargers (72KHW).

The numerous nonTesla charging stations sprinkled thruout NYC are also mainly found inside of garages (except for the Brooklyn Whole Foods on 3rd St and 3rd Ave where there are 4).

Fortunately for us, we are members of the Brooklyn Museum and have "limited" free access to the parking lot where there are Tesla Urban chargers just a couple of miles away from our home. But, potentially thousands of Tesla Owners have to face these kinds of expensive charging challenges over the next 3-5 years when we finally have a Tesla charging city infrastructure that minimizes the fact that you live in a house/apartment with no charging capabilities.

I'm in Brooklyn, NY at our Brooklyn home for a few weeks. Our home is a typical brownstone/limestone home that was built back in 1899 when there were no cars (hence, no garages). The challenge in charging our Model 3 LR-RWD is to find a supercharger/urbancharger that we have free access to. It's not easy because almost all Telsa chargers are found in garages where you have to PAY to get to the chargers. This defeats one of the purposes of having and electric car: save money as opposed to paying $40+ for gas.

For those who may not be familiar with NYC's parking fees, let's just say they're within the Mafioso ripoff range. Like $30-50+ for parking!!

Because of their anti-unionism, there are no Walmarts within the 5 boros of NYC. The closest Walmart is just over the NYC Queens border in Valley Stream within a big shopping mall area where there are free parking spaces for mall shoppers... and a bunch Urban Chargers (72KHW).

The numerous nonTesla charging stations sprinkled thruout NYC are also mainly found inside of garages (except for the Brooklyn Whole Foods on 3rd St and 3rd Ave where there are 4).

Fortunately for us, we are members of the Brooklyn Museum and have "limited" free access to the parking lot where there are Tesla Urban chargers just a couple of miles away from our home. But, potentially thousands of Tesla Owners have to face these kinds of expensive charging challenges over the next 3-5 years when we finally have a Tesla charging city infrastructure that minimizes the fact that you live in a house/apartment with no charging capabilities.

We might be neighbors we have a place in Park Slope, but no intention of bringing our Tesla to ny

I'm curious about how important the wall chargers are b/c i have to install in two residences & just got a quote of $2800 for one in chicago
Hi jerseygirl,

The chances are that your Model X has a 48 amp onboard charger. So if you went with a NEMA 14-50 outlet you would be able to charge at 40 amps or about 25 miles of range per hour. If you installed an HPWC and installed it behind a 60 amp breaker you could charge at 48 amps or about 30 mph. If you plan to eventually have more that one Tesla you might wish to consider wiring an HPWC at near full capacity.

Regarding your $2800 quote, I had a full-capacity HPWC installed for $1000 which included the cost of permits. Running cable to the HPWC is a significant cost. In my case, it was only a few feet from the electrical panel. Installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in approximately the same location cost me about $350. The cord on an HPWC is 24'. Mobile Connectors used with NEMA 14-50 outlets have 20 feet of cord.

For others who may have onboard chargers on their Teslas that are rated more than 48 amps or multiple Teslas:

The maximum available charging speed of the High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) has evolved as Tesla has changed its approach to the size of the onboard chargers that it installs on its various models. Initially, the first Model Ss had a standard onboard charger rated for 40 amps with an option for dual onboard chargers of up to 80 amps.

Later for Model S and Xs, Tesla changed the standard onboard charger to 48 amps with an option for a single high capacity onboard charger of 72 amps. At the time the Tesla online ordering system would permit you to explicitly select the size of your onboard charger.

Now, when ordering new Teslas, the ordering system does not explicitly mention the size of the onboard charger. The size of the onboard charger appears to be dictated by the size of the battery. For long-range and performance Model S, X and 3s, the onboard charger is rated for 48 amps. For standard and midrange Model 3s the onboard charger is rated at 32 amps.

Depending on the size of your Tesla’s onboard charger, and how many Teslas you intend to charge, that should determine whether you select an HPWC (and what capacity you set it to). If you don’t have a high-capacity onboard charger or multiple Teslas it would probably make sense to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet with one of the two types of available Mobile Connectors (Gen 1 at 40 amps or Gen 2 at 32 amps).

For example, my previous Signature Model S had 80 amp dual onboard chargers, and my current Model S has a 72 amp onboard charger. So, if I wanted to charge either at the full available capacity, I would have to choose an HPWC over a Mobile connector. As it turned out having just one Tesla to charge at night, I economized with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and used my Gen 1 Mobile connector at 40 amps. However, with this additional charger capacity when I am on the road I can still charge at close to 60 miles of range per hour on full-capacity HPWC destination chargers. At most typical non-Tesla public destination chargers you are lucky to charge at 20 mph.

After we purchased a long-range Model 3 for my wife, we had two Teslas to charge. It was then I decided to upgrade my home charger to an HPWC and to wire it to full capacity. So, we charge our cars alternately at relatively high rates for AC charging. My Model S charges at 56 mph and my wife’s Model 3 charges at 44 mph. With our low mileage driving patterns charging at relatively high rates means we are never competing for the single charger.

On the other hand, for people that have two Teslas and both travel a LOT, the HPWC has a feature whereby you can install several HPWCs and charge multiple Teslas simultaneously. The HPWCs will still only deliver a maximum of a total of 80 continuous amps, but the setup automatically distributes the load to both Teslas and when one is done charging the full capacity is available the remaining Tesla. So, if you have two people that are “Road Warriors” and need to charge both Tesla as quickly as possible, multiple HPWCs might make sense.

Last edited:
Hi jerseygirl,

The chances are that your Model X has a 48 amp onboard charger. So if you went with a NEMA 14-50 outlet you would be able to charge at 40 amps or about 25 miles of range per hour. If you installed an HPWC and installed it behind a 60 amp breaker you could charge at 48 amps or about 30 mph. If you plan to eventually have more that one Tesla you might wish to consider wiring an HPWC at near full capacity.

Regarding your $2800 quote, I had a full-capacity HPWC installed for $1000 which included the cost of permits. Running cable to the HPWC is a significant cost. In my case, it was only a few feet from the electrical panel. Installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in approximately the same location cost me about $350. The cord on an HPWC is 24'. Mobile Connectors used with NEMA 14-50 outlets have 20 feet of cord.

For others who may have onboard chargers on their Teslas that are rated more than 48 amps or multiple Teslas:

The maximum available charging speed of the High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) has evolved as Tesla has changed its approach to the size of the onboard chargers that it installs on its various models. Initially, the first Model Ss had a standard onboard charger rated for 40 amps with an option for dual onboard chargers of up to 80 amps.

Later for Model S and Xs, Tesla changed the standard onboard charger to 48 amps with an option for a single high capacity onboard charger of 72 amps. At the time the Tesla online ordering system would permit you to explicitly select the size of your onboard charger.

Now, when ordering new Teslas, the ordering system does not explicitly mention the size of the onboard charger. The size of the onboard charger appears to be dictated by the size of the battery. For long-range and performance Model S, X and 3s, the onboard charger is rated for 48 amps. For standard and midrange Model 3s the onboard charger is rated or 32 amps.

Depending on the size of your Tesla’s onboard charger, and how many Teslas you intend to charge, that should determine whether you select an HPWC (and what capacity you set it to). If you don’t have a high-capacity onboard charger or multiple Teslas it would probably make sense to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet with one of the two types of available Mobile Connectors (Gen 1 at 40 amps or Gen 2 at 32 amps).

For example, my previous Signature Model S had 80 amp dual onboard chargers, and my current Model S has a 72 amp onboard charger. So, if I wanted to charge either at the full available capacity, I would have to choose an HPWC over a Mobile connector. As it turned out having just one Tesla to charge at night, I economized with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and used my Gen 1 Mobile connector at 40 amps. However, with this additional charger capacity when I am on the road I can still charge at close to 60 miles of range per hour on full-capacity HPWC destination chargers. At most typical non-Tesla public destination chargers you are lucky to charge at 20 mph.

After we purchased a long-range Model 3 for my wife, we had two Teslas to charge. It was then I decided to upgrade my home charger to an HPWC and to wire it to full capacity. So, we charge our cars alternately at relatively high rates for AC charging. My Model S charges at 56 mph and my wife’s Model 3 charges at 44 mph. With our low mileage driving patterns charging at relatively high rates means we are never competing for the single charger.

On the other hand, for people that have two Teslas and both travel a LOT, the HPWC has a feature whereby you can install several HPWCs and charge multiple Teslas simultaneously. The HPWCs will still only deliver a maximum of a total of 80 continuous amps, but the setup automatically distributes the load to both Teslas and when one is done charging the full capacity is available the remaining Tesla. So, if you have two people that are “Road Warriors” and need to charge both Tesla as quickly as possible, multiple HPWCs might make sense.
Thank you for your wonderful response..i ordered my chargers online from "tesla store.".. they never asked what kind of car i was using it for...Contractor told me it is pulling 60 amps into charger & i'll get about 48 into car.. it has been a slice so far owning the car. I love it. People love it. I just wish the org was easier and more professional to deal with.

Thank you for your wonderful response..i ordered my chargers online from "tesla store.".. they never asked what kind of car i was using it for...Contractor told me it is pulling 60 amps into charger & i'll get about 48 into car.. it has been a slice so far owning the car. I love it. People love it. I just wish the org was easier and more professional to deal with.
No problem.
Every HPWC's output is adjustable. From 12 amps to 80 amps (12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72 and 80 amps). The contractor has the ability to set a switch on the HPWC to select the desired output and then installs a circuit breaker and cabling accordingly. So to provide 48 amps continuous to your Model X the contractor would select the switch position for 48 amps and install a 60 amp circuit breaker. That's probably all that you will need for your Model X. However, in the future, if for some reason (like if you buy a second Tesla) and you need greater capacity you can have a contractor rewire the HPWC and install a larger circuit breaker.

By the way, since you're a part-time Florida resident you are eligible to join our statewide Florida Tesla club. Just click on the link in my signature to learn more about us and if interested click on the "Join Us" link to join.

Regards,

Larry

However, with this additional charger capacity when I am on the road I can still charge at close to 60 miles of range per hour on full-capacity HPWC destination chargers. At most typical non-Tesla public destination chargers you are lucky to charge at 20 mph.
Larry, thank you for the all the details about the onboard chargers; very informative. If you ever want to go to the Tennessee mountains (Gatlinburg area), we have a very nice 3 bedroom cabin on a rental program with a HPWC on a 100A circuit. My 2016 MS could only get up to 35 miles of range per hour, which is still plenty for overnight.

Larry, thank you for the all the details about the onboard chargers; very informative. If you ever want to go to the Tennessee mountains (Gatlinburg area), we have a very nice 3 bedroom cabin on a rental program with a HPWC on a 100A circuit. My 2016 MS could only get up to 35 miles of range per hour, which is still plenty for overnight.
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the offer.

The charging rate of your Model S is consistent with a 48 amp onboard charger.

Larry