Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Integration with existing solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an existing 29.8 kw solar system that is installed on the house with an existing stand-by generator that is almost 15 years old now and is beginning to show some maintenance issues.

I'd like to purchase some powerwalls to replace the generator when it finally goes kaput, but I'd like to know if there is a way to integrate my existing solar system into the Tesla app so I'd be able to see the entire eco-system.

Is this possible?

TYIA!

I have an existing 29.8 kw solar system that is installed on the house with an existing stand-by generator that is almost 15 years old now and is beginning to show some maintenance issues.

I'd like to purchase some powerwalls to replace the generator when it finally goes kaput, but I'd like to know if there is a way to integrate my existing solar system into the Tesla app so I'd be able to see the entire eco-system.

Is this possible?

TYIA!
I have about 30kw of solar, 7 PW's, and a 22kw generator. Unless you have money to burn, I would not buy the PW's.

I'm thinking pretty heavily about doubling my PW fleet.... maxing out my Gateway connections. At the current Tesla pricing, adding 3 PWs is less $$ than adding a backup generator would be in my situation. Especially when a future of buying fuel is considered.
Of course ROI on PWs is quite difficult to find, as has been heavily discussed on here previously. ROI on a whole house backup generator is equally hard to find - the motivations for having either are usually independent of ROI calculations. As has also been heavily discussed, ROI is a significant factor for many, but far from the driver for much of this kind of investment, despite the attention it can get.

I think he got like 4-5 of those pretty heavily subsidized.

@h2ofun setup and situation isnt one I would think most people could emulate.
Yep, without the sgip, I would have zero powerwalls, makes no sense spending.

Without the federal tax credit, never would have done solar but SO glad I did as much as I could get approved, 90 panels. I probabaly could have gotten a few more but money wise would have made no sense. Even the amount I have now is too much but I seem to keep adding more needs like the EV.

In PGE country, I do not know anyone who has come close to the panel quantity I have, since they limit by the green button data, and I had such a unique case.

That's a big array! I'm sitting at 89 panels with a total of 29,370 kw. Electricity is cheap here in texas. .097 per kwh for importing and exporting. That's why I didn't add the PWs when I originally added my solar in 2019. I ended up figuring out how to show my consumption, self usage and export with my existing SolarEdge system, so I'm going that route instead Tesla integration.

Reactions: h2ofun