Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla base for Cobra kit - question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla base for Cobra kit

Hi. I was thinking about making a Cobra kit car, base on the Tesla batteries and drive train.
The idea is to buy a salvage Tesla, remove the required items and build them into the Cobra. I find the idea fascinating as it will be super fast, reliable and at the same time eco friendly.
The work itself will be a challenge, but the question is:
If I take all software and hardware over to the cobra, will it work, or would I still need Tesla to activate the software for it to function? If so, will they do it, as it will no longer be a Tesla?
Any constructive input is welcome.

The biggest issues that you'll face are lack of documentation on the Tesla drivetrain and potentially being unable to purchase critical parts from Tesla.

Stretchla Blog was a similar project to transplant a Westfalia onto the "skateboard" of a wrecked Model S. The project came to an abrupt end when the builder received an e-mail from the local service center stating:

Due to the salvage status of your Model S , I have been instructed to cease providing you with parts. Tesla is very concerned about vehicles with salvaged titles being improperly repaired. Going forward, all salvaged vehicles must be inspected by us or our approved body shop, Precision Auto Body. If declared a candidate for proper repair, reconstruction must be completed by a Tesla-Certified Body Shop.

You'll probably have much better luck with the project by going the standard EV conversion route and buying parts from vendors that support EV conversions. DIY Electric Car Forums Site Home is a forum for discussions on DIY EV conversions.

• Informative
Reactions: Carl