Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla can only be repaired be Tesla appointed smash repairer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 has some panel damage and I need to have it repaired. I wasn’t planning to claim insurance as it was my wife’s fault. I went to a smash repairer to get a quote and I was told that only Tesla appointed repairer is allowed to touch Tesla. Apparently it has something to do with disconnecting the battery. Is that true? There is only one Tesla appointed repair and a BMW repairer in Brisbane who are allowed to repair Tesla, so I was told. It doesn’t sound right to me as what is Tesla going to do if another repairer simply repair the rear door and the rear quarter panel? Otherwise wouldn’t that be regarded as an anti-competitive practice?

My model 3 has some panel damage and I need to have it repaired. I wasn’t planning to claim insurance as it was my wife’s fault. I went to a smash repairer to get a quote and I was told that only Tesla appointed repairer is allowed to touch Tesla. Apparently it has something to do with disconnecting the battery. Is that true? There is only one Tesla appointed repair and a BMW repairer in Brisbane who are allowed to repair Tesla, so I was told. It doesn’t sound right to me as what is Tesla going to do if another repairer simply repair the rear door and the rear quarter panel? Otherwise wouldn’t that be regarded as an anti-competitive practice?
I'm confident that others with better knowledge will advise, but the issue is not whether they're allowed to repair the M3, it's whether they can order any parts required from Tesla. My understanding is that Tesla will only supply Tesla-approved partners.
That said, my approved repairer has been waiting on a rear bumper from them since February...

I'm confident that others with better knowledge will advise, but the issue is not whether they're allowed to repair the M3, it's whether they can order any parts required from Tesla. My understanding is that Tesla will only supply Tesla-approved partners.
That said, my approved repairer has been waiting on a rear bumper from them since February...
I just had a rear bumper replaced last month with a recommended repairer.

I have close associates who are in the game running big multi booth operations

I can say this. Theres been sensitive and often volatile debate about if licencing has to change. Understandably if the Government were to implement new regulations this will impact many workers and their families. The dust isnt settled and its a messy set of issues for sure. Often unpleasant to listen in on.

At the moment today here and now. It is not a breach of a regulation to conduct these sorts of operations. Invested parties have been trying to argue that lets say there is a licensed automotive mechanic on premises employed full time right. So, you send off that mechanic for training. He can continue working. He doesnt need to become a licensed electrician as well.

As too parts, well supply chain stuff there with the usual workarounds. Enough of them running around for wrecker parts sometimes. Third parties will get into the act on parts as usual in auto stuff, Tesla will do what it thinks it can their side until they realise they have to change then they will.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman