Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y windscreen and roof glass replacement, hail damage repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a background in insurance and going off the pic you have posted, I can almost (almost because I can't see the rest of the car) say that the car is totaled.
I would strongly suggest that you get it assessed before you do anything.
Interesting, and thank you. Not too late to call the NRMA again and see if they want to go down that track.

Here are some other photos that cover most of the rest - I'd be interested in your input, and thank you for your time!

Attachments

• Front left quarter panel.jpg
    Front left quarter panel.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Left rear door.jpg
    Left rear door.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 36
Yep, this is what the insurance company is there for. If the car is damaged due to an insured event, you submit a claim and ask them to assess. They will advise how they will get the car fixed. If repairable, all you need to do is to take it to the nominated repair shop.
With some things (especially glass), it's quicker to get it done yourself and be reimbursed.
Especially with a windshield as is the case here.

The reason I am saying to hold off is due to the possibility that the vehicle will be written off.

This is proving to be questionable, as the amount of to-and-fro and fiddling around is hardly worth the small extra price to pay for this option. As an example, I am now dealing with the third windscreen replacement place (that I had to find) because the first two options from the insurance company each took a whole day to advise "Sorry, we can't do Tesla". This includes some very large names. Had I had choice of repairer, I would have shipped the Tesla off to a repair centre relatively near here, instead of it still sitting in the driveway under a tarpaulin...
This run around is exactly why I pay for choice of repairer. Some people are willing to go through that to save some dollars - I'm not.

It’s only a flesh wound 😂
Do you have unlimited car hire?
Would be cheaper for insurance company to pay for total loss. Then repair if possible plus $100 a day rental.
I’m sorry, had similar with hail storms central coast. BMW 320i E46 was a great car.

We do have unlimited hire car. I've actually just come back from picking one up.

Based on a conversation I had with the folks at the hire car company (who have gone through a few hail events), I am actually suspecting the insurer wants to repair the windscreen to get the care driveable again, which means I then turn in the hire car, saving them that cost.

We have no excess glass coverage, so this repair isn't going to cost me anything.

As the rest of the damage is actually cosmetic, and therefore not urgent (though there is a crack in the roof, but I believe it will be OK to drive based on earlier advice), it means we get back on the road fairly quickly, and can then get assessments done etc.

Just going to update this thread to document the outcome of the situation, though the vehicle is still in for repair.

It turns out the repairs are all being handled together, and the car was taken to Williams Bodyworks in Warner's Bay (Tesla body repairers for the Hunter Valley region).

The assessment came in at around $30,000 (this was given to me in a conversation between the repairers and myself during a claim update), and repairs are under way with parts on the way.

We still have the hire car, and will do so until we get back into the Model Y.

Once repaired, we need to wait for about 3 weeks for new paint to off-gas etc, and then take it back to TintHaus for reapplication of PPF and Graphene coating etc.

• Informative
Reactions: jassi and Hairyman
Just going to update this thread to document the outcome of the situation, though the vehicle is still in for repair.

It turns out the repairs are all being handled together, and the car was taken to Williams Bodyworks in Warner's Bay (Tesla body repairers for the Hunter Valley region).

The assessment came in at around $30,000 (this was given to me in a conversation between the repairers and myself during a claim update), and repairs are under way with parts on the way.

We still have the hire car, and will do so until we get back into the Model Y.

Once repaired, we need to wait for about 3 weeks for new paint to off-gas etc, and then take it back to TintHaus for reapplication of PPF and Graphene coating etc.
What hire car did you get? Is it another Model Y?