Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changing the deposit ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been waiting almost 2 years for the base Model 3 to become available.
When it recently was announced I closed the deal and put another $3200 deposit down.
All was good and Tesla called saying the car is one week out.
I had added my trade and filled in the loan application and was approved.
All was good and now 1 week out Tesla has ch aged the loan conditions and say I have to put down a $5000 deposit.
I have a trade value of $5000 and I've also already put down an initial deposit of $1000 plus a closing deposit of $3200.

All was good and loan approved but now 1 week out Tesla requires another $5000 deposit.
I don't think so.

I had been waiting almost 2 years for the base Model 3 to become available.
When it recently was announced I closed the deal and put another $3200 deposit down.
All was good and Tesla called saying the car is one week out.
I had added my trade and filled in the loan application and was approved.
All was good and now 1 week out Tesla has ch aged the loan conditions and say I have to put down a $5000 deposit.
I have a trade value of $5000 and I've also already put down an initial deposit of $1000 plus a closing deposit of $3200.

All was good and loan approved but now 1 week out Tesla requires another $5000 deposit.
I don't think so.

You've confused yourself. Tesla has put a downpayment of $5000 because of your trade in. That counts as down payment so they added it. The $3200 should also be there for a total of $8200 downpayment

You've confused yourself. Tesla has put a downpayment of $5000 because of your trade in. That counts as down payment so they added it. The $3200 should also be there for a total of $8200 downpayment

Thats what it sounds like to me as well when I read OPs statement. It doesnt sound like OP realizes that the 5k trade in becomes 5k deposit (so will be in the deal that way).

Are you financing with Tesla (is that even possible?)

The size of the down payment depends on the size or your loan - if your credit is dodgy perhaps your financial institution wants to see you put in more cash out of your own pocket.

Tesla won't care either way - they get the cash from you and the loan proceeds from your bank no matter how the loan is structured.

Sorry I haven’t explained my situation properly.
I have already paid via CC $4200 and have a trade in credit of $4500 .
I was supposedly approved by the bank for the balance and after trade payoff I was owed $100.
Then a few days later the loan agreement has changed and now shows another $5000 deposit .

What gives?

Sorry I’m confused. Is Tesla asking for more money than what your loan commitment was for? Were taxes and delivery and fees accounted for in what you were bortowing or were you to come to the table with that at delivery? I assume you are going over your purchase agreement on your Tesla account. Your initial deposit, order deposit and trade-in value should all be shown. I’m not aware of people getting money back at the time of delivery so doubly confused. If you are being asked to come up with additional funds after your deposits and trade-in kind of sounds like the loan amount requested was off. Maybe take your MVPA in with you to your lender if local and see if they can explain if you aren’t reaching anyone at Tesla.

Last edited:
I had an agreement with my trade value and a deposit of $4200 CDN.
After I had agreed to the loan and was approved showing % rate and monthly payment there was a plus balance due to the allowed payout on my trade .
I mentioned to the advisor not too worry about the overpayment as BMW would send a check to me with the overpayment amount.
Tesla decided to add an additional deposit amount of $5000 to the agreement with a corresponding decrease in the monthly payment amount.
I finally got this resolved through my advisor but received zero response from any of the emails sent to generic customer service or financing .