Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone
I have my MYLR on order and expect delivery soon. I have installed Nama 14-50 plug outside in a weather protected box. Has anyone used a Tesla Mobile charger outside in wet conditions or in rain? Is it safe to do so because according to the manual, the chargers is not to be used in wet conditions or around moisture. I was debating whether I should invest into a permanent charger or just use the mobile charger that I have already received.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.4 KB · Views: 199
The Tesla Mobile Connector can be exposed to the rain and still function. Is it ideal? No. At worst, not submerged in water, the Mobile Connector might have a shorter lifespan than if it was never exposed to the rain, ice or snow.

The Tesla Wall Connector is hard wired and has no power plug; that is a major benefit for electrical equipment designed for use outdoors as well as indoors. The Wall Connector is rated for all weather use so it would be the better choice. The Wall Connector has other benefits including enabling faster charging than the 32 amps that the Mobile Connector supports. The Wall Connector enables charging at up to 40 amps on a 50 amp circuit (48 amps on a 60 amp circuit). The Wall Connector now comes with a 24 foot charging cord and the ability to limit charging to only specific Tesla vehicles (by using the VIN.)

Reactions: 73Bruin and ATPMSD
Upvote 0
Hello everyone
I have my MYLR on order and expect delivery soon. I have installed Nama 14-50 plug outside in a weather protected box. Has anyone used a Tesla Mobile charger outside in wet conditions or in rain? Is it safe to do so because according to the manual, the chargers is not to be used in wet conditions or around moisture. I was debating whether I should invest into a permanent charger or just use the mobile charger that I have already received.

Maryland gets real "Weather" right? In your case, in that situation, I would buy the wall connector and hard wire it in that exact location you have the mobile connector + 14-50.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
I wouldn't leave a mobile connector exposed to the elements, although I know some people do. You could build or install a box to contain both the outlet and the body of the mobile connector. The plug should be no problem out in the weather.

Converting that install to a wall connector, I would consider a DIY project, and that's what I would do.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
Technically it should be fine (like the posters above mentioned), but doubt it would last as long with the actual housing unit being subject to a variety of weather over the years. I also charge my M3 and MY in my driveway with a mobile connector, but I drilled a hole in the wall coming from my garage (where my electric panel and my 14-50 is) and then put the cable through there with a trap-door thing that goes on my house siding. Got the idea from this post here.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone
I use the mobile connector outside in the rain, etc with no issues. But I don't leave it outside. I plug it in when I need to charge which is about once per week. I live in the high desert where the sun is brutal. For my situation I think using the mobile connector is better than leaving a permenent charger outside exposed to the elements 24-7.

The NEMA end is protected by the box and the Tesla end is (I think) pretty much the same as the connectors used at superchargers in all kinds of weather. Kyle Conner (of Out of Spec Studios) has a lot of EV and Tesla experience. Sometimes superchargers out in the hot sun would start to throttle because the handle that plugs into the car gets too hot. Kyle wraps the handle with a wet cloth to cool it off. He never had any problems with this and his rationale was that they were already designed to work in inclement weather.

If anyone got badly shocked or electrocuted at a supercharger, we would never hear the end of it.

Upvote 0