Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 ECU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

minerbaba19

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2023
Uk
Hi All, I have a Tesla Model 3 -2021 standard range+ my car computer (ECU) needs replacing, FUSED CAR COMPUTER-RIGHT HAND DRIVE- HARDWARE 3.2 (1566786-S5-C).
The problem is it seems to have grown a mind of its own, it works intermittently, when the car has been on for more than an hour, it seems to disable all cameras, autopilot and sat nav, I dont know what the correct operating temp should read as its going upwards of 60 degrees when checking in service mode, can these parts be repaired? as Tesla are charging £2000 to replace, as this part in particular is only covered for 12 months and cannot be changed under standard warranty. If someone had this issue in the UK and can advise of a ECU repairer that can repair this be most appreciated.

no they have categorically refused saying this part is only warrantied for 1 year
Where can we find a breakdown of the specific warranty that is applied to all the various parts of the vehicle?

Seems ridiculous a ECU would be warranted for a single year?

How does the ECU not fall under the basic vehicle limited warranty ?
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 6.41.12 PM.png

I'm seeing this on the website "Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first"
Is that not for separately purchased/replaced parts and accessories?

The ECU is a key part of most cars these days. Unless the car is able to function fully without the ECU then I'd be arguing up the stack about it being reasonable for the consumer to expect it to be covered under the 4 year warranty.

I have exactly the same problem with my 2019 M3P. It is just out of warranty by a couple of months at 53K. They have refused to discuss it and quoted £2000 for the same ECU replacement.

I first had location problems back in February, that were caused by going around specific roundabouts. (I know this because we had the same problem in both our M3 and MY and it was absolutely repeatable). Reported to service centre who advised it was fixed in the 2024.2.8 release, which it was. But the latest release 2024.8.4 has caused problems for the M3P, and the car now appears permanently stuck 15 miles away. ( autopilot, navigation, wipers, cameras etc don't work - headlights full on - service page says the ECU is MIA)

The car is pretty unusable, certainly not the features I paid for (including FSD that has yet to appear in the UK), so I feel forced into paying the £2k. Seems ridiculous that a fundamental internal component which is not affected by mileage wear/tear is not covered. I'm suspicious it's been caused by poor software (or inherent design) that has caused temperature issues and burnt it out. Will see what the actual service centre say when I go. I've never had a bad thing to say about Tesla but this is changing my mind.