Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S White Seats with Ceramic Coating still got weird stain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All, I have a 2019 Tesla Model S (I posted in the Model 3 forum because there's way more users here and the seats should be the same :)) with white seats. I ceramic coated them with Gyeon Q2 Leather Shield about a month ago, but when I looked at the seats a couple days ago, I noticed this weird stain on both the bottom cushion AND the lower back cushion (ruling out jean dye):

It did recently rain here, but I can't figure out what could've caused this and/or how to remove it (baby wipes did not work). If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

(moderator note)

I am not sure the seats are the same, and I am also not sure if the active membership in the model 3 subforum is more than the active membership in the model S subform. "I want more people to see it" isnt a specific reason a post belongs in one subforum or the another, it goes in the subforum for the product.

So, I am moving this post to the model S subforum.

With the above being said, the model 3 subforum does have a specific thread on white seats. I didnt combine this post with that because its a model S, but perhaps something in this thread might give you ideas:

Reactions: Big Earl
Hey All, I have a 2019 Tesla Model S (I posted in the Model 3 forum because there's way more users here and the seats should be the same :)) with white seats. I ceramic coated them with Gyeon Q2 Leather Shield about a month ago, but when I looked at the seats a couple days ago, I noticed this weird stain on both the bottom cushion AND the lower back cushion (ruling out jean dye):

It did recently rain here, but I can't figure out what could've caused this and/or how to remove it (baby wipes did not work). If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!
Gyeon have a leather cleaner which I've been using for over a year and I've been super happy with it. I also have the ceramic coating by Gyeon but some stains do show up, which the leather cleaner usually takes care of.

Gyeon have a leather cleaner which I've been using for over a year and I've been super happy with it. I also have the ceramic coating by Gyeon but some stains do show up, which the leather cleaner usually takes care of.
Thanks, I'll order the leather cleaner off amazon and try it, but I'm not too hopeful. That weird stain seems to be pretty in there. Baby wipes and Meguiar's didn't do *sugar* on it

That thing is real cleaning chemical...nothing like baby wipes :) Right before I sold my previous M3 with white seats (and back then - no ceramic coating) it had tons of jeans dye on it. The Gyeon didn't fix all of it, but made it MUUUUUUCH better.
Alternatively you can just get new leather. I think TSportsline does that and they can do miracles but at a cost $$$ + it won't be synthetic leather but genuine one (I for one prefer the synthetic).

I cleaned all the seats with baby wipes prior to the Leather Shield. This isn't from the leather shield for sure, I've had it on for at least a month before this stain occurred
It could be a delayed reaction, as I've seen it before. Gyeon Leather Cleaner is a must prior to applying Leather Shield, particularly on white seats. You can then use Leather Cleaner as a maintenance product. The only time I've ever seen an issue is when the surface was cleaned with a type of product that leaves residues behind, or if there was any other kind of oils or "protectants" applied to the seats at any point and not completely stripped off.

It could be a delayed reaction, as I've seen it before. Gyeon Leather Cleaner is a must prior to applying Leather Shield, particularly on white seats. You can then use Leather Cleaner as a maintenance product. The only time I've ever seen an issue is when the surface was cleaned with a type of product that leaves residues behind, or if there was any other kind of oils or "protectants" applied to the seats at any point and not completely stripped off.
Hmm...I see. I ordered the Gyeon Leather Cleaner now and hopefully it will do something but maybe not since the Leather Shield is already on there

Reactions: iyordanov
That is dye transfer and even a ceramic coating will NOT prevent it to from happening to some degree with these white seats. And unfortunately it will NOT clean off all the way
I ran into this same issue with my old model S and tried EVERYTHING to no avail. It is an unfortunate reality with these white seats
I’ve tried Colourlock, ceramic coating, Gyeon, you name it I’ve tried it. Including some really hardcore dye transfer specific chemical cleaners from the clothing apparel world for leather and pleather purses. Absolutely NOTHING will clean it all off
I reached out to one of the premier Tesla detailers in the country who has worked on over 100 Teslas with white seats and got confirmation that nothing will fully prevent staining on them
It sucks but oh well—still got White seats in my new Plaid! 🤣

Last edited:
That is dye transfer and even a ceramic coating will NOT prevent it to from happening to some degree with these white seats. And unfortunately it will NOT clean off all the way
I ran into this same issue with my old model S and tried EVERYTHING to no avail. It is an unfortunate reality with these white seats
I’ve tried Colourlock, ceramic coating, Gyeon, you name it I’ve tried it. Including some really hardcore dye transfer specific chemical cleaners from the clothing apparel world for leather and pleather purses. Absolutely NOTHING will clean it all off
I reached out to one of the premier Tesla detailers in the country who has worked on over 100 Teslas with white seats and got confirmation that nothing will fully prevent staining on them
It sucks but oh well—still got White seats in my new Plaid! 🤣
But how would I have gotten jean transfer on the bottom seat AND the lower back cushion? I don't wear jean jackets lol. The only thing that would've touched both is a coat, maybe that's the culprit?

I think it depends on how you approach going in/out the car, your butt might slide a bit on the bottom back of the seat 🤔
No, I'm very careful with how I get in precisely because I'm worried about jean dye transfer lol (I also typically wear dress shirts untucked so it actually covers more of the jean area on the bottom too). I took one of the coats that I think I wore during the rainy time period, dampened it and put it on a towel to see if it bleeds some dye.