Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range vs AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw the AWD will pry have around 285 all said and done. Wouldn’t count on 300 except for long range RWD

you have to consider the fact you can’t charge to 100% unless the Y has a factory limit built in, which I haven’t heard they do. So 90% of 300 is 270. Hoping we get a 10-15mile bump with software upgrade. Biggest expense I have found besides door handles is tires. Ripping through Michelins in 15k with awd S

The recently released CARB certificate for performance AWD implies 309 miles range. 10% less than LR AWD 3 would be 290. Definitely going to be more than 285.

it’s listed at 300 for order. The CARB was lower than the 3 not accounting for size and less aero dynamics. The most important aspect is you have to consider you can only charge to 90% without risking damaging battery. We will see. Hope they can do better

Since Model Y order page was last updated in August 2019, Model Y SR+ and AWD LR got 10 and 12 mile boosts, respectively. I am curious if Tesla will keep the real wheel drive LR variant for Model Y since it's no longer an option for Model 3. Tesla likes to keep things consistent. My guess is that they will make the rear-wheel LR for a limited time to satisfy the early orders and then phase it out and go to SR+, LR AWD and P AWD trims (or maybe scrap the LR rear wheel drive altogether prior to production). Bigger picture is that it's a safe bet that Model Y will cost ~10% more than Model 3 and have ~10% less range and the two products will coexist similarly to how Model X and S do now. Another thing to keep in mind is that Tesla constantly makes improvements in specs and will host a battery investor day around the same time the first Model Ys will start shipping. So good chance we may see a boost in specs around the same time so as to not kill then current sales. I may go out on a limb here but I think there is a good chance that the AWD LR Y will have an EPA >300 range by the time it hits full production in 2H20/1H21.

Where do you see that? I see that the LR AWD Model Y is still at 280 and there is nothing on the SR+ except that it isn't available until 2021.

Would love a 100 kwh pack upgrade option. I know it likely doesn't work purely linearly due to added weight, but ballpark (100/75*280) 375 range would be nice and put us guys in the northern tundra more at rest in dark isolated snowy conditions. I would op in for that 600 km range upgrade.

According to this thread and not my memory, when I ordered base “Model Y + Long Range All-Wheel Drive” it had 280 miles range. Price has dropped $3k and now there is just “Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive” (redundant?) with a range of 316. If I were to take delivery now would I get 280 or 316?

Last edited: