Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla roof rack removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks.....I only put the rack on our wagon when I’m using it. The Thule takes maybe 5 min to install. How easy is the Tesla rack to put on and take off the Model 3?
Very easy to install and remove, less than 10 minutes. I go slow because of the glass roof, and not wanting to “tap” the glass with the roof rack cross bars. Make sure that Tesla has supplied you with silver “L” bolts, because the black ones are not tempered and will break from stress. One of mine actually snapped in half during use before I was provided replacements by Tesla. It is a safety issue and Tesla will replace all of the black “L” bolts for free.

Another question, I have a wind noise reduction seal from Zero Emissions installed around the glass roof. Do I have to remove that to install the roof rack supports? Do they attach to the glass?

The roof rack installs using metal “L” bolts that have a flat edge that curves underneath the ceiling glass into predisposed brackets that are hidden beneath the glass. The roof rack comes with an installation tool that presses the roof’s rubber seal upward and holds it there so that the “L” bracket can be inserted beneath the rubber seal. With the noise reduction seal in addition to the car’s pre-existing rubber seal, inserting the “L” bolt into the hidden bracket might be a little tight, but I’d bet it can be done.

Thanks, helpful.

Another question for roof rack owners: what do you do with the 3m tape? Do you leave it on after the roof rack is removed? I will use the roof rack only during vacations, 1-2 times per year...

Thanks, helpful.

Another question for roof rack owners: what do you do with the 3m tape? Do you leave it on after the roof rack is removed? I will use the roof rack only during vacations, 1-2 times per year...

I guess you could order 3M each time. :confused:

I applied mine over the PPF I have. WIth careful install you can barely see them. Try not to get fingerprints and dust under the film. Clean area prior to install. They are staying put on mine.

The 3M little ppf-tape footpads for the roof rack rubber grommets are more noticeable when the car is dirty, but most times they are hardly noticeable. The “V” is about middle of the ppf-tape as a marker for where the “L” bolt needs inserted beneath the roof glass and rubber roof seal.
1812E3DE-1156-4B20-956E-1F356CE94DD2.jpeg