Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Shop Return Restocking Fee?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for someone who has recently returned things to Tesla Shop. Is Tesla charging a restocking fee on unopened brand items? I've come across posts where people charged a 15% restocking fee, even though the item was brand new unopened.

I already have the prepaid Fedex shipping labels from [email protected], but when I asked about the restocking fee, I got no reply. So at this point I'm hesistant to send the item back.

But, if you don't return it, what would you do with an item you don't want or need? Sell it privately for hopefully more than 85% of list price? Of course, this is assuming you'll actually be charged a 15% restocking fee.

Last edited:
What did you buy? Their return and fee policy is pretty explicit on their website:
Tesla Store Help

Service-installed vehicle accessories may be canceled within 60 days of ordering but are subject to a 25% restocking fee. These products are ineligible for return once installed (except for cases involving product warranty).

Unopened Wall Connectors may be returned within 60 days of delivery. All other unopened vehicle accessories may be returned within 30 days of delivery. If an item has been opened, but remains unused, it may be returned within the same time-frame stated above and will be subject to a 25% restocking fee. Once a product has been used, it is ineligible for return (except for cases involving product warranty).

Apparel and lifestyle merchandise may be returned within 30 days of delivery. Items must be unused, in the original packaging, with tags attached to receive a full refund.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have the same problem - I returned an unopened wall connector and got charged a 15% restocking fee. - I canceled the order before it was shipped but it took customer support too long to get to my email and the item was shipped to me. - They send me a return label and mentioned only that opened packages are subject to a restocking fee (of 25% as written above).
I can understand restocking fees of items that were opened but don't think I should have been charged a fee for this one.

The website clearly states that the 15% restocking fee applies only to opened items:

Returns
Is it possible to return a product?
Vehicle accessories and merchandise purchased from the Tesla online store or a Tesla retail location may be returned within 30 days of receiving the product. Wall Connectors can be returned within 60 days. Opened and unused products have the same return window but are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Outside of warranty concerns, return shipping will be deducted from the return credit. Once used, a product is ineligible for return.​

I could not find a phone number to contact the shop directly. - Anybody has a number to call?

Last edited:
I returned a wireless phone charging dock using a Tesla-provided FedEx return label and was refunded 100% of the purchase price; no return shipping charges nor restocking fee.

I used my own packaging since I had already recycled the original box, but the inner black Tesla box containing the accessory remained unopened and sealed in transparent plastic wrapping.