Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Size vs. Tesla Inverter Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Solar size is 12.285 kW. Est. Annual Production year 1 = 20095 kWh - "DC"
My contract calls for 2 inverters. 3.8 + 7.6 = 11.4kw - "AC"

I did not notice this until I was reviewing the SCE Interconnect Agreement which has 11.4kw.

I ask why the SCE says 11.4kw but my Solar has a higher rating. She said the Inverter Rating is "AC" which is what SCE wants to know and the my Solar Rating is "DC".

What was also confusing was that when I ordered a couple of weeks ago the on line order had 4 sizes. My choice were the 8.4kw (I think was the size) or 12kw (not sure of exact size). I decided to go with the 12kw size because I felt I wanted/needed at least 10kw.

Anyway, the New Order page now has 3 sizes. Small (3.8kw), Medium (7.6kw) and Large (11.4kw). Notice the 11.4kw matches my 11.4kw. So are they now showing the sizes in "AC" or is this just a crazy coincidence?

Anyway, the contract states that my system is projected to put our Est. Annual Production (1st year) of 20095 kWh and they will be installing 39 panels rated 310-320.

Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5/SC 310-320 from Q CELLS.

SO ALL GOOD?

Summary of below: You’re good.

All solar installers I know sell their PV systems rated in DC. It’s just the inverter part that mentions about AC.

A 7.6 kW (AC) SolarEdge inverter is designed to handle up to 11.8 kw (DC) panel array. So, having some panels on the 7.6 and some on the 3.8 is fine. I always tell people to oversize it and get a bigger inverter because unless you’re maxing out your roof, there’s always a chance you may want to add more panels in the future. I wonder if Tesla is sourcing the smallest 3.8 inverters so cheap that they would rather install 2 small ones than 1 big inverter like a 11.4, or at least 10.0kW. I’d wager that’s the case as they are all about cost cutting. But, then again, I just read in another thread that Tesla won’t sell PV expansions. Only new kits or replacements, which is ludicrous.
I won’t even mention about Hanwha Q panels.

Even their proprietary mounting hardware is trash compared to industry standards such as rails from IronRidge.

Summary of below: You’re good.

All solar installers I know sell their PV systems rated in DC. It’s just the inverter part that mentions about AC.

A 7.6 kW (AC) SolarEdge inverter is designed to handle up to 11.8 kw (DC) panel array. So, having some panels on the 7.6 and some on the 3.8 is fine. I always tell people to oversize it and get a bigger inverter because unless you’re maxing out your roof, there’s always a chance you may want to add more panels in the future. I wonder if Tesla is sourcing the smallest 3.8 inverters so cheap that they would rather install 2 small ones than 1 big inverter like a 11.4, or at least 10.0kW. I’d wager that’s the case as they are all about cost cutting. But, then again, I just read in another thread that Tesla won’t sell PV expansions. Only new kits or replacements, which is ludicrous.
I won’t even mention about Hanwha Q panels.

Even their proprietary mounting hardware is trash compared to industry standards such as rails from IronRidge.
Maybe Delta doesn't make larger than 7.6kW inverters? The OP didn't say what kind was quoted. I assume Tesla will install Delta plain string inverters unless otherwise specified.

Maybe Delta doesn't make larger than 7.6kW inverters? The OP didn't say what kind was quoted. I assume Tesla will install Delta plain string inverters unless otherwise specified.
Delta Solar Inverters: Below is on the same page. I was told they are using 3.8kW + 7.6kW = 11.4kW.
Transformerless (TL): 3.8 kW, 5.2 kW, 6.6 kW, 7.6 kW

I did ask what about using 5.2kW + 7.6kW = 12.8kW (or maybe 2x 6.6kW). And the answer was "we do not use those much?". Was not a solid answer so not sure.

Remember they now sell on the order page; Small (3.8kw), Medium (7.6kw) and Large (11.4kw). Which is why I think they change to showing the inverter size on the order page????? And before it was the Solar Size. Pretty confused about this.

Anyway, with other reporting Tesla will not update their systems (add more panels) I am glade to be going larger install.