Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to deliver prototype electric vehicles to Toyota by July-end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The left gauge show a 160, I wonder if this represents peak power output for the motor, 160kw, or if it is RPM (x10)?

Updated: Actually I guess that would have to be x100 not 10

RPM would only be interesting if there's a transmission. I think that's pretty unlikely, and quite undesirable.

The 2008 Roadster's speedometer goes to 150 mph even though the car is electronically limited to 125 (or thereabouts, can't say that I've hit that limit).

I'll bet these images are artist's renditions and have no bearing on the specs of a vehicle which might eventually be put into production in some form.

I was excited to test drive a Smart Electric last summer. The literature they were handing out proudly noted their "Tesla Motors Battery Pack." The 2010 limited-production car has a 20 kW (30 kW peak) motor and is the most gutless car I've ever driven. It was embarrassing to see the Tesla name associated with such a snooze mobile. The sales drone was trying to get me to lease one at an outrageous rate while telling me he wasn't sure it was actually freeway-capable. (The 2012 model is expected to have a much stronger motor which should meet the modest performance expectations of driving a Smart.)

I would expect that Toyota would do a better job, but I'm pretty skeptical of assuming that seeing the Tesla name on a third-party vehicle means anything in terms of performance.

I was excited to test drive a Smart Electric last summer. The literature they were handing out proudly noted their "Tesla Motors Battery Pack." The 2010 limited-production car has a 20 kW (30 kW peak) motor and is the most gutless car I've ever driven. It was embarrassing to see the Tesla name associated with such a snooze mobile....

It should be noted that Tesla folks I have talked to are embarrassed as well.

I'll bet these images are artist's renditions and have no bearing on the specs of a vehicle which might eventually be put into production in some form.

Just for reference, here are the regular gauges on a 2011 RAV4:

2011toyotarav420359357e.jpg

I don't know what the 160 on the EV gauges is for but I think they'd have a digital readout of remaining range instead of a gas-tank-like needle-based range indicator.

I would expect that Toyota would do a better job, but I'm pretty skeptical of assuming that seeing the Tesla name on a third-party vehicle means anything in terms of performance.

I have heard a few times now that the Rav4EV prototypes are supposed to perform better than any of the gasoline versions.
The V6 RAV4 is no slouch so it could be a "hot rod" SUV.
But those are just prototypes... Hard to say what would happen to make them production ready.