Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the move to $900 was a short covering rally; MMs had sold short about 40M+ shares by the end of Dec 2020. That $900 SP is what was required for long term holders to actually hand over that volume of shares (Ron Baron's fund sold too early in Dec at ~$640, haha).
Why throw shade at Ron?
His personal position of 1.1 million shares is untouched. He cut his fund's 8 million share position by 1.8 million shares over August to February with 1.2 million of those sold at prices from $450 to $900 with an average price of $666.70 . Shares that had originally been purchased at $42.34 for a 14.7x gain.
Billionaire investor Ron Baron's firm sold 1.8 million Tesla shares despite saying price will hit $2,000
Stock performance around that period:
SmartSelect_20210705-020812_TD Ameritrade Mobile.jpg

Why throw shade at Ron?
His personal position of 1.1 million shares is untouched. He cut his fund's 8 million share position by 1.8 million shares over August to February with 1.2 million of those sold at prices from $450 to $900 with an average price of $666.70 . Shares that had originally been purchased at $42.34 for a 14.7x gain.
Billionaire investor Ron Baron's firm sold 1.8 million Tesla shares despite saying price will hit $2,000
Stock performance around that period:
View attachment 681503

You're concerned about Ron? You read all that from my one sentence comment? Lol, get a hobby! The shade is all in your own mind!

On his Mar 4th appearance on CNBC, Ron Baron said it was prudent to sell shares from his fund because it was up over 10x. He said his fund sold shares at an average of between $630-640 per share. That's their choice to lighten up, and likely what was expected by his customers. Significantly, the Baron Partners fund sold only a fraction of their TSLA shares. And par for the course, CNBC used Ron Baron's appearance as an opportunity to bash TSLA: (stressing SELL!)

Billionaire investor Ron Baron's firm sold 1.8 million Tesla shares | CNBC on Youtube (4 Mar 21)

None of which changes the fact that, by selling in Dec, Baron Fund holders missed the underlying Jan move, which was a 30%+ short covering run up. Which is fine if they met their goals: Look at @anthonyj He sold at ~$720 in early Jan because that was already a 'crazy price'. Now he's 'suffering' in his Florida beach house (paid in full by TSLA shortzes) and he's still holding over a thousand shares of TSLA for future runs. Hard to argue with these results: (if beach life is your goal)

anthonyj Jan 4, 2021

"Haven’t sold shares in a year, but I just sold 15% of my position. Will buy me a Roadster and a beach house. Stonk will now go to $1,000+. You’re welcome!"​

anthonyj Feb 14, 2021

"My new house paid for by TSLA. Was it wise to cash out 15% of my holdings? Who cares. Thank you Elon Muskrat and shorty friends" :cool:

But just like Ron Baron's personal TSLA holdings, I sold zero shares into the $900 January runup. It all depends on your timeline. Neither Ron nor myself is in TSLA for the small beans; we want the whole enchilata (which BTW isn't a personal wealth goal; we both already have enough money).

There is no finish line; it's a relay race. Each milestone marks the start of the next phase. Mars will need to achieve a renewable economy quickly, or it will die trying. It can not depend on Earth for essentials. In 300 years, I want the rallying cry on Independence Day to be "Mars for Martians!"

Cheers!

300 years, that is a bit ... ambitious personal timeline? ;)

Ahem: ;)

Artful Dodger, Nov 28, 2020 Post #221,627

"You're joking, right? Dojo will see things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be etched in time, like lightning in the rain. Time to live. Ask me again in 500 years. Then we'll see how valuable Dojo was."​

Cheers!

Ahem: ;)

Artful Dodger, Nov 28, 2020 Post #221,627

"You're joking, right? Dojo will see things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be etched in time, like lightning in the rain. Time to live. Ask me again in 500 years. Then we'll see how valuable Dojo was."​

Cheers!
I finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 on the 4th of July. Damn, this movie is a masterpiece. I don't know why it took me 4 years to get around to watching it.

BREAKING: UK new car registrations are out, and the SMMT still can't spell "Tesla"!
On a more serious note, by our own tracker, with this data included, there have been 14.990 Model 3s delivered in the UK this year. That means that I am pretty certain, the Model 3 has the #11 YTD spot in the UK, as the chart cuts off at #10 with the Toyota Yaris having accumulated 15,124 deliveries. That's essentially neck and neck with the BMW 3 series at 15,402

On a more serious note, by our own tracker, with this data included, there have been 14.990 Model 3s delivered in the UK this year. That means that I am pretty certain, the Model 3 has the #11 YTD spot in the UK, as the chart cuts off at #10 with the Toyota Yaris having accumulated 15,124 deliveries. That's essentially neck and neck with the BMW 3 series at 15,402
Provided Tesla decides to start importing MIC RHD Model Y to the UK, the second half of this year should be a blow-out. In fact, even without the Model Y, as long as they send over enough cars. The SR+ isn't available until November for new orders, the LR and P are still available for August delivery, but the inventory is empty.

Now, those delivery numbers should be at least partially confirmed soon. Now that we're into Q3, the Dept. for Transport should release the detailed figures for Q1 (yes, that's Jan.-Mar.!) any day now! :rolleyes:

I finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 on the 4th of July. Damn, this movie is a masterpiece. I don't know why it took me 4 years to get around to watching it.

Indeed, Elon said that Bladerunner was one of his inspirations for Cybertruck:

Cheers!

P.S. I think Westworld Season 2 will be the inspiration for Model 1/Robotaxi:

Jess on Twitter: "What do we like better: Zoox, Amazon's self-driving robotaxi, or the robotaxi from Westworld? 😄 I guess Zoox is a little less end-of-the-world-y. 😂 https://t.co/v8mK1so5uO" / Twitter

EpTnP0bUYAA70RJ

P.P.S. I think Tesla will make 10M of these per year by 2030, cost around $15K to make (thanks to an LFP structural pack). Tesla sells the hdw at a 40% margin, and licenses the FSD software. So Tesla can buy about 40% of 10M robotaxis per year just out of manufacturing income, and keep nearly all the revenue on 40% of the growing fleet, and a good software licencing business on the other 60% of robotaxis. Best part, self-financing and grows to meet world demand (then off-world demand, post 2050 I think...)

Cheers!

Last edited:
300 years, that is a bit ... ambitious personal timeline? ;)
OT, Way OT
but comment on a Tesla/Musk project, so vaguely, if generous, related to investing and compound interest

if neuralink comes to fruition a bit faster, re-instantiation may work, even if a bit “glitchy”, but you wouldn’t know anyway, and it wouldn’t matter, if the core transferred, a “copy/paste” of a conciousness so to speak, even if it occasionally “malfunction/malfs”

(for popular explanations, one of very many, see “altered carbon” or many of Iain M Banks novels), “Surface Detail” comes to mind)

(in the EssEff community, for decades, there is a low level meme, that some unknown person or persons, alive right now, will not die except voluntarily or by accident)