Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is more of a controlling a complex and somewhat unpredictable system exercise than a safe driving exercise.

What helped me was when teslajoy pointed out that she did not get any unsafe following if she made sure to enter navigate on autopilot on the ramp before hitting 50mph. I was able to keep a perfect 100 score all the way to the autocross event
My 2 cent in case they start opening up the beta… In order to not get hard braking, I found that releasing the electric pedal quickly was a fault. Hence this would be nearly impossible on a cut in driver in front. There was no option for softer regen, so I believe this was tailored to only test in lower traffic regions. Maybe a safety buffer, maybe a way to limit the users some way. Totally feel everyone’s pain. Hang in there and be safe.

Should have named her Tess. Worth a nudge in SP. :)

As the vehicle purportedly was on Autopilot, shouldn't there eventually have shown up the message "Please squeeze the steering wheel slightly. Or, if using both feet, squeeze hard."?

Part of the equation has to be that West Virginia has a Toyota ICE engine and transmission plant. It is hard to imagine this being good for Tesla in any way. Tesla and GM are the only EV makers cut out of the current $7,500 tax credit. So other than GM Tesla’s competition... well, it isn’t quite competition yet, but it will be one day a couple years from now, is all getting the credit and will continue to until each hits the production cap.
So we taxpayers are propping Hyundai and VW and Porsche and Audi and Jaguar rather than innovative, made-in-American Tesla.
It’s still a tax credit, not a purchase credit so a buyer still needs $7,500 in federal taxes to take advantage and is still paying full price up front. Isn’t there a max income of $400k too? That cuts into Hyundai at the bottom and Porsche/Audi at the top. Is there a Hyundai stretch?

Ok, just checked. No income limit but the credit is only for the year of purchase. No cary forward.

Last edited:
I’m driving a rental in Costa Rica. FSD would likely stop every 10 feet for pedestrians in a standoff as they seem to ignore all vehicles. So 2025 maybe, but I’m willing to try it anytime!!!

I was told you can now buy a Tesla here. Someone importing and reselling I assume. Wishful on Hertz for this region.

Also, I’m a billionaire - in Colones. Off to Tamarindo today. Driving is scary fun.

Part of the equation has to be that West Virginia has a Toyota ICE engine and transmission plant. It is hard to imagine this being good for Tesla in any way. Tesla and GM are the only EV makers cut out of the current $7,500 tax credit. So other than GM Tesla’s competition... well, it isn’t quite competition yet, but it will be one day a couple years from now, is all getting the credit and will continue to until each hits the production cap.
So we taxpayers are propping Hyundai and VW and Porsche and Audi and Jaguar rather than innovative, made-in-American Tesla.
Eh… the whole point of the 200,000 car cap was to help get car makers *started* making EVs. Tesla got that help already. Now it’s everyone else’s turn.

The thing which bothers me is putting a big gap in Tesla’s coverage while everyone else is either collecting the incentive or not making cars. Then once GM gets production back online they fire the incentive back up.

Personally, this whole game of incentive football is pissing me off more and more. Makes it so much easier to switch sides of the political fence. Now if only there were another side which wasn’t as frustrating.

It's like a "christmas miracle"
5 reportings, both november 2018, both december 2018 and first 1/2 of january 2019
=>_ZERO_<= FTD's
If you d/l those 5 files, unzip and do a simple text search for tsla, nada, zip, nothing,
do a random on of any others and it pops up
This is exactly what I was talking about. As I said, I wrote software to search through many years worth of data looking at ~6000 other heavily traded symbols to find the longest consecutive period of zero FTDs for those other symbols. No other stock ever came close to 2.5 months of zero FTD.

The only reasonable conclusion is that the data set is wrong, and that FTDs on TSLA (and TSLA only) were not being reported. That's why I wrote to the SEC, asking them to investigate and provide the missing data, but they just ignored me. I also tweeted Ihor Dusaniwsky to get his take on it. To my surprise he didn't even know that the SEC reported FTDs or that they were ever significant! It is not uncommon for some stocks to see a few days of zero FTDs once in a while but even 10 consecutive settlement days of zero FTD is extremely rare for all heavily traded ( > 1 million shares/day) stocks.

One of the causes of FTDs is the automatic exercise of in-the-money options at expiration. For put options, if they were purchased for speculation (e.g, TSLAQ) rather than insurance, the buyer doesn't actually hold the stock so when it exercises they end up with a short position for which it's likely no locate was performed. Same for naked Call writers. As has been pointed out a few times in this thread options on TSLA are more heavily traded than on any other stock in history. Given that, it is maybe less surprising that big spikes in FTDs are somewhat more common for TSLA than other stocks. But that also means it's even less likely that TSLA could see a long period of zero FTDs.

Does Tesla release info on how many FSD suites they are still selling? At this point I would think no one in Canada buys it as it is most likely years away. But even in the US I would think it’s wishful thinking to see Full FSD by end 2022. Are they still generating any meaningful revenue from FSD?

Clearer explanation of why Ammann was fired from Cruise. Ammann wanted for focus on robotaxi while GM wanted to integrate the technology into it's product offerings. A real dilemma as I am sure GM realizes they are far behind Tesla.

Just give leading Mary a few more years managing Cruise and I am sure they will be tops in vehicle automation just like they are tops in EV's /s.

Tesla strategy here is looking more and more brilliant here as they will be able to unlock a lot of value once FSD refined.

Great find by Joe.
What are the chances that a lot of the pieces of equipment we see are made in-house?

This is by the way primarily possible due the open and generous nature of Elon. Where else would drones have an almost free rein when an important and ground-breaking new factory is being built?
It feels like we are spying on Tesla but since Elon OK'ed it, we should just count ourselves very lucky to witness this.

Clearer explanation of why Ammann was fired from Cruise. Ammann wanted for focus on robotaxi while GM wanted to integrate the technology into it's product offerings. A real dilemma as I am sure GM realizes they are far behind Tesla.

Just give leading Mary a few more years managing Cruise and I am sure they will be tops in vehicle automation just like they are tops in EV's /s.

Tesla strategy here is looking more and more brilliant here as they will be able to unlock a lot of value once FSD refined.
Normally a CEO wants to IPO would not only limit to the CEO but some of the key position in that organization. They may lose some talent because of this move.

Reactions: AZRI11
So, all Tesla ‘construction’ currently illegal, huh? 🤣
No, not illegal.
Current work is being done under a temporary permit, fully legal, where Tesla bears all cost for undoing that should the final permit for some reason be denied. That scenario is very unlikely.
But dragging things out far longer than necessary, fair, or warranted - yes, that seems likely.
As long as the final permit is not granted, Tesla can't really manufacture.

Reactions: advocate8
No, not illegal.
Current work is being done under a temporary permit, fully legal, where Tesla bears all cost for undoing that should the final permit for some reason be denied. That scenario is very unlikely.
But dragging things out far longer than necessary, fair, or warranted - yes, that seems likely.
As long as the final permit is not granted, Tesla can't really manufacture.
So, to be clear, manufacturing is not allowed without the final permit?

So everyone, tell me how to solve this climate crisis then? Hmmm? Are you all going to buy multiple Teslas for the lower middle class?. How the hell are we going to move the other automakers to EVs without those incentives? Those incentives get the public hungry for switching over....take it away and EVs are STILL too expensive and the public will not care. It's still too early in the transition....the fing govt won't push the automakers to transition so who will? Don't ducking say Tesla. We don't have time for that. Bunch of ****ing rich people on here.

USA has been throwing $7500 incentive at auto makers for what a decade or so now and its made no difference. The structure of the BBB isnt designed to shift to EVs its designed to help keep legacy auto making fossil cars.