Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV Stealth responded and taking names down in time for MY deliveries. I'm pumped!
"The M3 chassis is different to the MY, therefore the towbars / tow hitches are not interchangeable. The receiver on the M3 comes out under the bumper, whereas the MY comes straight out".

EV Stealth responded and taking names down in time for MY deliveries. I'm pumped!
"The M3 chassis is different to the MY, therefore the towbars / tow hitches are not interchangeable. The receiver on the M3 comes out under the bumper, whereas the MY comes straight out".
Is there an estimate on price?
My SA told me one would be av next year i guess who knows.
Its a $1300 usd accessory in the US so approximately $1860 AUD. Im wondering the cost in Australia.?

Further as questioned on many forums does the EC compliance which is far stricter than ADR automatically give and acceptance as to meet the ADR. On many forums the answer is yes.

According to driven:
"According to details listed by the road vehicle regulator ROVER, the Model Y has been approved to tow 750kg (non-braked) – the same as the Tesla Model 3.
However, instead of 910kg braked as with the Model 3, all three variants of the Model Y are approved to tow 1.6 tonnes, making it one of the highest-rated EVs for towing in Australia (the Audi e-Tron can tow 1.8 tonnes, while the Volvo XC40 Recharge can tow 1.5 tonnes)."

So if EC is acceptable and vehicles is ADR approved to tow is their much needed apart from bringing a tow bar from europe and fitting it
?

1655937452443.png

Last edited:
It’s quite easy to install after production. Although I’ve done the aftermarket route, the mounting is the same. There is literally 6 bolts on the update model (8 on earlier) to secure to the car. Once the back bumper is off it’s pretty straight forward. The factory wiring plug would make the installation a lot easier.

Ebay i cant see who makes it looks like a very basic unit straight forward.
No harness.

Would love a factory harness connection.

here we go

Us supplier
$499 USD (it would be interesting to see what certification it has)

The only trouble there is the different spec lights the US market has. This was somewhat an issue with M3 also. Relies on EU spec or some other country with ‘normal’ indicators like ours to work correctly. All doable but generally involves a soldering iron 😡

Hi @Munter. Can you explain plug and play a bit further? Is there a socket in the boot that it plugs into?
Yes there is a plug specifically for a tow harness taped to the back bumper support and it has pins for positive, negative and the can bus. You can tap the power terminals for a standard aftermarket install or if you can find a euro kit with plug, then you’re onto an easier install (wiring wise at least.)

Yes there is a plug specifically for a tow harness taped to the back bumper support and it has pins for positive, negative and the can bus. You can tap the power terminals for a standard aftermarket install or if you can find a euro kit with plug, then you’re onto an easier install (wiring wise at least.)
Thanks @Leeroy. That's awesome. I notice the Stealth hitch comes with a wiring harness but you must have to cut into the cars tail light and blinker wiring. The plug sounds like a better option.

Thanks @Leeroy. That's awesome. I notice the Stealth hitch comes with a wiring harness but you must have to cut into the cars tail light and blinker wiring. The plug sounds like a better option.
Yes that’s correct about splicing the cars tail and indicators. It isn’t a particularly difficult job but it was time consuming to do a neat job. The wiring with the ev stealth hitch has its own lighting ecu (that takes power from the plug) so you aren’t loading up the factory wiring at all, just using it as the trigger for the ecu, kinda like a relay.
Happy to help with any queries, I bugged a few members on here during my install. 😂

Yes that’s correct about splicing the cars tail and indicators. It isn’t a particularly difficult job but it was time consuming to do a neat job. The wiring with the ev stealth hitch has its own lighting ecu (that takes power from the plug) so you aren’t loading up the factory wiring at all, just using it as the trigger for the ecu, kinda like a relay.
Happy to help with any queries, I bugged a few members on here during my install. 😂
Thanks for confirming! I'll defs consider both options. A bit of wiring might be worth it just to save 187 euros.

The difficulty is getting your hands on the trailer ECU and wiring tail. I imported mine from a European parts dealer. It all went together very easily though and I haven't had any problems with any of the electricals since installing it. It would be good to be able to turn off the rear sensors when something is plugged into the lights though as the sensors are very alarmed by bikes sitting on the bike rack and constantly show them as orange and red proximity warnings. Presumably there is a tow-mode available but it would take some kind of activation from Tesla to make it happen.

The difficulty is getting your hands on the trailer ECU and wiring tail. I imported mine from a European parts dealer. It all went together very easily though and I haven't had any problems with any of the electricals since installing it. It would be good to be able to turn off the rear sensors when something is plugged into the lights though as the sensors are very alarmed by bikes sitting on the bike rack and constantly show them as orange and red proximity warnings. Presumably there is a tow-mode available but it would take some kind of activation from Tesla to make it happen.
I saw the link you sent with the trailer ECU. I'll definitely consider it. I'll also tow a bike rack so the beeps will annoy me too. Are you planning to contact Tesla to activate trailer mode?