Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was not forced to have a tow hitch option in Europe, but they chose to have the option there for Model 3 (probably because it's easier on the car to pull European-style trailers and because its more common to pull trailers with cars on Europe). However, Tesla did have to perform crash tests with the tow hitch installed and have it meet European standards in order to be able to sell cars with the tow hitch. In Europe you are not allowed to add a tow hitch to your vehicle if it did not come with one from the factory.

As far as software is concerned, Trailer Mode disables engagement of Autopilot. In the USA where we don't have Trailer Mode on our Model 3s your can still use AP/FSD while pulling a trailer.

Thanks for all posts - I eventually took the car in for an inspection and they have supplied the missing detachable tow hitch at a cost of £135. So I can now use my bike carrier which is great news. For anyone else in a similar position the hitch is actually a ‘Westfalia’ make and I suppose could be sourced independently (although I haven’t checked).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC