Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Rpod 171 with Model Y - Need Guidance on Equipment and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time. However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle. As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car. Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed. Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away, I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there. I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me.
Thank you in advance

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time.
However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle.
As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car.
Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed.
Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away,
I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there.
I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me.

2024 RP-171C
Hitch Weight: 325 lbs​
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight): 2,449 lbs​
CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity): 2,276 lbs​

Model Y Tow Package
Tesla doesn't offer a trailer brake controller, so max towing is limited to 3,500 pounds.

I would recommend looking at the following TMC Thread, and in particualr the #30 and #47 postings dealing with weight distribution:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is misleading. It is wired for one, you need to install your own.
Did you find a supported brake controller for your Model Y? I’m still searching for a safe solution.

I have a 22 MYLR w factory towing. Tesla's low voltage system sends 15.5 v to the brake controller wires. Prodigy-Tekonsha told me their operating range doesn’t support 15.5. Tesla disconnected the Aux power to the 7 pin. Which ruled out the RF solution I have.

I have a Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock, perfect rig if I can find a supported brake controller.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time. However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle. As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car. Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed. Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away, I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there. I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me.
Thank you in advance
Did you find a supported brake controller for your Model Y? I’m still searching for a safe solution.

I have a 22 MYLR w factory towing. Tesla's low voltage system sends 15.5 v to the brake controller wires. Prodigy-Tekonsha told me their operating range doesn’t support 15.5. Tesla disconnected the Aux power to the 7 pin. Which ruled out the RF solution I have.

I have a Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock, perfect rig if I can find a supported brake controller.

Upvote 0

I don't tow with my Y because I have a diesel truck. I recall seeing the Tekonsha P3 works well, but cannot confirm on the Y. Great controller though.

Upvote 0