Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Roadster Long Distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla knows best of course but I remember at an EV rally Ferdinand Motors did just that to recharge the Roadster without a decent plug. I beleive that worked nicely but they called Tesla first and thats what I would do to.

Cobos

Tesla Motors does not recommend that you ever tow a Roadster in the manner described: with the Roadster in Tow Mode and the rear wheels free rolling on the ground.

There are many reasons why this is not a good idea, but at a basic level, law requires that the rolling wheels of a towed car be mechanically disconnected from the drivetrain. (In a normal RWD car this is accomplished by disconnecting the driveshaft.) Even in Tow Mode, the Roadsters rear wheels are permanently connected to the gearbox and motor.

Tow Mode is designed specifically to allow a user to slowly load the Roadster onto a trailer.

The threaded tow hook receptacle is not designed to tow the car. As I said previously, it's designed specifically to winch a Roadster onto a flatbed or into a trailer.

The only way to suitably tow a Roadster is with all 4 wheels off the ground on a car trailer.

regards,
Ted

Ted, thank you for your input.

Let me be sure I expressed my last question clearly. If one used a tow dolly, one would simply back the car on to the tow dolly taking the rear wheels off of the ground. This would leave the front wheels on the ground. One would not use the tow hook at all.