Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota: The future of our relationship with automated vehicles: Redefining Human Connections on the Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F13N0lAWEAELYiB

The Automated Driving Teammate Concept by Toyota emphasizes the system’s role as a collaborator,
aiming to establish the appropriate level of trust to create a sense of working alongside a teammate.
By using the analogy of a human relationship, such as a teammate, it becomes easier for drivers to grasp the concept.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitdepth
The Automated Driving Teammate Concept by Toyota emphasizes the system’s role as a collaborator,
aiming to establish the appropriate level of trust to create a sense of working alongside a teammate.
By using the analogy of a human relationship, such as a teammate, it becomes easier for drivers to grasp the concept.
I fear for Toyota. As presented, the starting premise is

“The biggest barrier to widespread adoption of autonomous driving is psychological, not technological.” (Shariff, 2018)

As I see it, the biggest barrier to widespread adoption is making it work. Once it works and people find out that their favorite public figure is letting it drive them around, they'll come around quickly.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I fear for Toyota. As presented, the starting premise is

“The biggest barrier to widespread adoption of autonomous driving is psychological, not technological.” (Shariff, 2018)

As I see it, the biggest barrier to widespread adoption is making it work. Once it works and people find out that their favorite public figure is letting it drive them around, they'll come around quickly.
I don't think that is the premise of the article. The premise of the article is to explore the future of the relationship between humans and automated vehicles and designing systems that can establish human-like connections with the drivers, by taking advantage of our emotional connection to our vehicles, and how treating the system as a teammate allows us a level of comfort and trying to find the fine line between over trusting and mistrusting the system entirely.

I tend to agree with some of the things they highlight in the article. There are different approaches to L2, there are L2 which establishes the human role as just a supervisor who is there to catch a potential mistake like FSDb, if you tug on the steering to make correction, the system disengages. Then if you look at Mercedes Benz Drive Pilot or Nissan Pro Pilot the system does not disengage if you make corrections, it freely allows you to collaborate with it. Waymo first started with L2 system but found that their employees who were testing the system trusted it too much that is why they decided to go straight to L4 and remove the human factor entirely.