Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading a Model S with another Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just a random thought. I just purchased a new 100D 2017 Model S. I love it, but unfortunately I cannot get the idea of getting a P100D out of my head.

Obviously I can trade it in (take a descent hit off the top), pay taxes on the difference (Illinois here) and possibly find an inventory P100D. Thats the more common option in this scenario I would think.

Yes, I wish I went with it from the start, but have any people here ever done trades? I know it may be complicated, but given the right opportunity couldn't it make more sense?

I guess in my ideal situation I would find someone in Illinois (We both pay 1.25K MAX for a private sale tax) and just sell the cars to eachother? Maybe someone wants a 100D because he/she realized the speed is hardly if ever used and wouldn't mind the extra range. Also maybe after a year he'she wouldn't mind a different color interior/exterior. Where I really want the speed, do not care about the range as much.

I am not saying this has to be an equal trade as in theory we would sell to eachother at prices we believe were fair. I just feel this way we both save on taxes, and the initial hit a vehicle gets when it is purchased.

I am probably missing something obvious, but just wondering on thoughts?