Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic light detection fails to detect the color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model 3, can detect the stop signs and traffic lights pretty good after the update in April. But as soon as I get close to the traffic light (reaching the stop line) it doesn't detect the light of traffic light anymore.
Anyone else has this issue. I was wondering if it is a bug that will be fixed in the later updates or something is wrong with my car. Like camera calibration etc.

P.S. I got the Model 3 new in Mar. 2020. But it was produced in 2019.
- I am in Germany and do not have the "Full Self-Driving Capability"

My 2019 Model 3, can detect the stop signs and traffic lights pretty good after the update in April. But as soon as I get close to the traffic light (reaching the stop line) it doesn't detect the light of traffic light anymore.
Anyone else has this issue. I was wondering if it is a bug that will be fixed in the later updates or something is wrong with my car. Like camera calibration etc.

P.S. I got the Model 3 new in Mar. 2020. But it was produced in 2019.
- I am in Germany and do not have the "Full Self-Driving Capability"
If you don’t have FSD then this feature is useless to you in the operation of your car. You need HW3 and FSD for it to be of any use (stopping at stop signs/traffic lights).

I don't have FSD either, and agree with C141medic that it is useless for me. But, I have it on as I like to see what the car is seeing, should I maybe decide to go FSD one day. Anyway, mine is able to detect the lights and their color, since it first became available. Currently, I'm on 2020.16.2.1.

I don't have FSD either, and agree with C141medic that it is useless for me. But, I have it on as I like to see what the car is seeing, should I maybe decide to go FSD one day. Anyway, mine is able to detect the lights and their color, since it first became available. Currently, I'm on 2020.16.2.1.

I am on the same software version, and my car, occasionally, alerts me of a red light.
It's a somewhat amusing feature, but it has no practical value to me as I would not trust my life (red light stopping) to Tesla's software any time soon.

as soon as I get close to the traffic light (reaching the stop line) it doesn't detect the light of traffic light anymore.
Anyone else has this issue. I was wondering if it is a bug that will be fixed in the later updates or something is wrong with my car.

My guess is has everything to do with the FWD looking camera's view angles.
There are 3 cameras, to be exact. One narrow forward camera with a focal plan of 250m, another mid-range 150m, which acts as the main camera, and a wide forward camera with a shorter range of 60m.
Observing the timing of my red-light alerts, they are driven by analyzing the images from either 250m or 150m camera, not the short-range wide view mode. That would explain why pulling close to the light moves the traffic-light out of camera's view angles.

Either way, it's an infotainment feature, so take it easy!

It is not actually totally useless. Considering my height, I have to lean on crossroads to see the traffic light from windshield. And 5150 is also right.

Thank you @5150 I am on the same version. Getting suspicious to my car o_O
Yeah, I’d stick with the leaning on crossroads rather than trusting the timing of the status of the red/green traffic lights on the view screen. :)
I have HW3/FSD and actually disabled this beta feature, for now, as it was too unpredictable at traffic lights for me.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin