Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel charger operation temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have my 2023 MYLR for a few weeks. Uses only 120v 15amp outlet in the garage for charging. The outlet is a GFCI outlet with downstream connection to another outlet outdoor. Nothing is connected to the outdoor outlet. The ambient temperature in my garage has been pretty stable at around 70deg F. I monitored the surface temperature on outlet vs. The hotest part of the travel connector, which happened to be on the silver/black box around the area where the LED "T-E-S-L-A" indicating lights are. Here is what I found..
Amp setting/outlet temp./travel charger temp.
12A/105deg F/112deg F
10A/98deg F/105deg F
8A/95deg F/100deg F
<8A/pretty much same as 8A

Then I got a 3ft 10ga extension cord and plug into the outlet, then plug the travel charger to the other end of the extension cord, and found the charging temperature dropped quite a bit.
12A/80deg F/88deg F
10A/80deg F/85deg F
<10A/pretty much same as 10A

BTW, the circuit breaker has a steady read of around 85deg F on above cases.

Any one experience the same observation? Tesla adviced not to use extension cord but this finding make me want to use it. Thoughts?

A longer extension cord would result in a slight voltage drop, i.e. less than 5% not being significant. Using an extension cord adds two additional interconnects into the circuit. These are a source of dirt and moisture intrusion and along with the entire length of the extension cord can also become worn or damaged over time. A well made, well maintained extension cord of reasonable length is not a problem. Consider an extension cord a temporary solution while traveling or while waiting to install a dedicated charging circuit closer to where the plug-in vehicle will be parked. (None of the temperatures you noted are a concern, would not expect any part of the charging circuit to exceed ~120F except maybe in summer. (Always try and charge in the evening or out of direct sunlight in warm weather.)

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
A longer extension cord would result in a slight voltage drop, i.e. less than 5% not being significant. Using an extension cord adds two additional interconnects into the circuit. These are a source of dirt and moisture intrusion and along with the entire length of the extension cord can also become worn or damaged over time. A well made, well maintained extension cord of reasonable length is not a problem. Consider an extension cord a temporary solution while traveling or while waiting to install a dedicated charging circuit closer to where the plug-in vehicle will be parked. (None of the temperatures you noted are a concern, would not expect any part of the charging circuit to exceed ~120F except maybe in summer. (Always try and charge in the evening or out of direct sunlight in warm weather.)
Thanks for the reply. I've heard about voltage drop on a longer extension cable, and the issue of frequent plug and unplug. Will continue to monitor the charging temperature just in case.