Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Trip from San Jose to Big Sur help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 midrange 260miles and plan to take a trip to big sur on highway 1 from san jose to monterey. Any advice the best route to get there without having range issue?

From my research, there is Monterey Supercharging station, and Hearst Castle Visitor Center (which is closest to Big Sur) has 6 Tesla chargers are the two must stop, am i right?

Any advice will be deeply appreciated!

If you're going to Big Sur from San Jose, you won't get anywhere close to Hearst Castle. I'm not entirely sure, but I wouldn't think you'd need to even stop in Monterey.

Sorry, staying at hotel at Hearst Castle area for a night, and the hotel has no charger..... SJ to Big Sur to Hearts Castle

Your car will tell you what to do. Don't sweat it! Just tell it "Navigate to..."

I might be losing it, Navigate to Big Sur and it will tell me what to do? Sort of like Plan a trip?

Sorry, staying at hotel at Hearst Castle area for a night, and the hotel has no charger..... SJ to Big Sur to Hearts Castle

I might be losing it, Navigate to Big Sur and it will tell me what to do? Sort of like Plan a trip?
Yes, it will route you through Superchargers along the way if the car needs it. Just go out and sit in the car and try it. Piece of cake! Should be no range anxiety! Download an app called PlugShare on your smartphone too just for more layers of soothing backup.

Last edited:
Yes, it will route you through Superchargers along the way if the car needs it. Just go out and sit in the car and try it. Piece of cake! Should be no range anxiety! Download an app called PlugShare on your smartphone too just for more layers of soothing backup.

Awesome!.... also already got the plugshare, its a peace of mind for sure. Thanks for the help, totally feel like a rookie!

The chargers at Hearst Castle are free for everyone because parking is free. We charged there when we were there, but they are Destination Chargers (Wall Connectors) so it is not super fast... I think like 35 miles/hour. If you are going to take a tour, then for sure charge there because you will park there for over 2 hours. I think we got like 60 miles charged. Otherwise there is nothing much to do there at the visitor center. If you are going do the tour around this time of the year, you should do the Holiday Twilight tour.

If you are staying at the hotels in San Simeon, I think the Days Inn has one Destination Charger. You could probably charge there if none of the guests are using it. It is near the Big Sur Restaurant. Last time the Destination Charger parking spot was ICE'ed.

The chargers at Hearst Castle are free for everyone because parking is free. We charged there when we were there, but they are Destination Chargers (Wall Connectors) so it is not super fast... I think like 35 miles/hour. If you are going to take a tour, then for sure charge there because you will park there for over 2 hours. I think we got like 60 miles charged. Otherwise there is nothing much to do there at the visitor center. If you are going do the tour around this time of the year, you should do the Holiday Twilight tour.

If you are staying at the hotels in San Simeon, I think the Days Inn has one Destination Charger. You could probably charge there if none of the guests are using it. It is near the Big Sur Restaurant. Last time the Destination Charger parking spot was ICE'ed.

Thanks for all the tips, very helpful =)

If you want to kill some time while you are charging at Hearst Castle, you can walk across the street (Highway 1) and spend some time at the San Simeon beach . There's also a nice place for lunch called Sebastian's that is near the beach. The beach is < 1/2 mile walk from the parking lot.

Thanks everyone for the help, the trip was a great success. Highway 1 from Monterey to Big Sur and all the way down to Cambria was painful, but the great views along the way is priceless

Tesla Supercharging Station used for the whole trip (approximately 500 miles round trip)

- Monterey
- Atascadero
- Gilroy

full

Last edited:
Glad you had a great rip. It is beautiful coastline. Love Hearst Castle. Been a few times and once in December when they had it decorated for the holidays. Remember the pointsettas and cinnamon or pine scent in the air.

So, curious about the comment “painful”. How so? We’ve been to all 3 of those Superchargers. Did you have a wait because of the weekend holiday traffic or was it something else? I’m sure 101 North was no fun coming back if the roads were crowded already.

Glad you had a great rip. It is beautiful coastline. Love Hearst Castle. Been a few times and once in December when they had it decorated for the holidays. Remember the pointsettas and cinnamon or pine scent in the air.

So, curious about the comment “painful”. How so? We’ve been to all 3 of those Superchargers. Did you have a wait because of the weekend holiday traffic or was it something else? I’m sure 101 North was no fun coming back if the roads were crowded already.

Highway 1 from Big Sur to Cambria was such winding road, plus holiday traffic can only go up to 30mph for 2 hrs

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset