Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk, Frunk, door reports open when they're not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my wife got into my Model Y Vin 048XXX and saw that the car's display showed the Trunk, Frunk and rear driver's side door open. They were not. She manually opened and closed the trunk and door, but there was no change in the display. The app shows the same status.

I'm not there, so I walked her through the soft reboot (scroll wheels) and the harder reboot (scroll wheels and brake press). When the screen came back up, the status of the doors, etc. were unchanged.

She finally got a hold of a service tech who was very nice, but ultimately could not resolve the issue. They are going to tow the car tomorrow to the closest service center to attempt to resolve the issue.

Anyone have any experience with this type of issue? Can it possibly be resolved quickly??

This is my first experience with Tesla Service. Based on the stories I've directly heard from owners, and online postings, I'm a little concerned. My main concern is her transportation. Hearing stories about Uber credits instead of loaners has me (and her) nervous. We live an hour north from the SC (White Plains, NY). There is very little Uber availability in the area. How does these "credits" work? Is it a set amount?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Reactions: cancoi and hcdavis3
An update - still waiting for the tow. To give credit, the remote service person did ask about my wife's situation - was she OK, was she in a safe place, etc. I believe that once they determined she was at home with the dead car, the urgency of the tow was reduced. The app is reporting that the tow is on the way, but that notification has been static since last night.

Got a hold of the SC via phone (a minor miracle) and they were not aware the car was being towed in. The SC has set up an appt for later today (Thurs) and that is reflected on the app. The SC assured my wife that they will have a loaner for her.

The car is not going to sleep (according to Teslafi). My wife reports the cabin climate control is on (with no way to control it), but that's a good thing - she was headed out for a long drive and had charged that battery to 96%. The car is now unplugged and I'm hoping the climate control will "burn off" some of the charge.

next update -
Tow arrived at 9:30, had no problem with the car, driver was experienced with Teslas.
My wife reports the SC was prepared when they arrived, paperwork for the loaner (M3) was already created. Everything was handled quickly and nicely.
The SC has not communicated what the problem is/was, but I don't think they've had time to examine the car. Got an estimate of 0$ on the App that I approved. I suspect this is SOP, get the owner's approval, then proceed with repairs.

I'm optimistic, but the proof will be the resolution.

Based on the lack of response to my original inquiry, I guess this sort of problem is not common, that's good.

I recently had a similar (but not identical) issue with both driver-side doors. Each time the door was opened, the car immediately thought it was closed right back even though it was actually still wide open. The main problem with this, of course, is that it would scoot the window all the way up, preventing the door from closing. It happened with the front door first. Tesla said they couldn't do it via mobile service, so I made an appointment and took it in, expecting a few days' wait. It turned out to be only about 24 hours for the door problem, but they had to order the piece of brightwork that got scratched before we realized that the window was rubbing it. Once that came in, a mobile tech came out and replaced it (all covered, BTW).

About a week later, the rear door started behaving the same way. This time, the service department agreed to save me the trip and instead dropped off the loaner and picked up my car. Apparently the problem was a faulty puddle lamp, which they replaced. Both doors have been fine since and I was actually relieved to hear that it wasn't a software bug or some other total gremlin.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, they've determined that there is a larger issue, not related to the doors. The screen is just showing the last status of the doors when some module fried. (My wife was packing the car for a trip) and she didn't ask "what module"

But I got a clue from Tesla on the app showing the part that has been ordered.

TLA,AP3.2.CAR.COMP,NA - PROVISIONED
1775000-S0-K

Could not find any description of what this "module" does. Could anyone share any insight on the part?

I'm kinda liking the app process, just wish I was actually talking to the repair people directly (my wife is) so I can ask questions.

thanks

Reactions: cancoi
Starting to not like the app thing -
There's no spot where I can send a message under the current open work order. (Android Galaxy 8). I'm at the mercy of Tesla's response.

So the part was ordered, Friday, they moved the completion date to Tuesday. Today they moved the completion date to Wednesday. We were able to speak to a different person at the SC who said the part was in ( Monday), it's just a lengthy process to install this module. My wife called BS on that. We'll see what happens.

All in all not a good experience. Getting a new person on the phone each time leads to a lack of continuity and as a result, a lack of trust. This is reinforcing all the tales of woe I've read/heard about Tesla service.

I'm pleased to say I can wrap up this thread with a repaired MY. At least so far.

We got the car back on Tuesday, after some significant push back on our part after the SC again attempted to delay the completion. Don't know why we had to do that but it sure left a sour taste in our Tesla experience.

They replaced the main CPU module, which wiped all our settings away. Fine. I can deal with resetting my preferred seat settings, but all the phones and I assume my key card will need to be relinked. The card they used was reset and when my wife came to pick up the car she had to have the tech relink her phone.

As for the process of using the App to get and follow repairs, all I can say is it went seriously downhill after the first message. I sent one message via the app, and then the ability to send messages disappeared. The original work order got closed out, but retained the ability to send messages. Sent one, then that ability went away also. Never got a chance to send messages for the final work order.

Don't know why, but based on the phone system, they may be using the app to keep the conversation one way, from them to us. One tech who called let on that they can see who's calling (message screening). I suspect they let many of the calls go through to Tesla phone hell.

I tried messaging via the web "chat" service, but that was useless. No response to my questions/inquiries. I made sure to try the chat during their business hours, but the link didn't work.

So, next time I'll be using a different SC, I doubt the experience will be any better, but what's the alternative??? Next car decision will definately take this experience into consideration.

They said that there was nothing wrong with anything but the communications section of the CPU module. The failure had nothing to do with the doors/trunks. That just happened to be the status of the car when the "Modem" failed.

Oh well, the MY is still working.

I compared notes with my brother who has a Subaru and has been dealing with dead batteries (6) this past year on his new outback. The service techs at Subaru seemed to be using the "hit and miss" approach to car repair. I think they finally stumbled on the problem, his newest battery has lasted for 4 weeks now!