Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tuning/Alignment, 21's with tire wear and 19's (my experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

One purpose of this post is to give recommendation on alignment in east bay. I used AutoRND in Fremont. It's owned by a fellow named Rishie. He's got a race background, and was quite knowledgeable (and taught me quite a bit) about the MS tuning. It's almost all adjustable except for the rear camber. Anyhow, if you're in east bay, south bay, or wanna take a trip down there, i would highly recommend them.

Now, regarding my 21's, and 19's. I have a P85 21 inch grey turbines. At about 9K miles, there was pretty asymmetric wear on the inner tire edge (this has been talked about ad nauseum in forums). I ordered some Rial Lugano's (silver turbine with 19 inch Conti DWS tires. Rishie installed them and offered to check out the tuning/alignment for me. Holy smokes, there were some serious alignment issues, which contributed to the abnormal wear on the 21's. We have not gotten into any accident, but it's possible few potholes, curbs (from my wife) may have gotten alignment out of whack. The 19's drove well, but after Rishie worked his magic with the alignment/tuning, I would say that the car performs BETTER than the 21's with the suboptimal stock alignment. Stability is outstanding in cornering.

My average power usage per mile on 21's (no tuning) was 341 Wh/mi.
My average power usage per mile on 19's (no tuning) was 332 Wh/mi
My average power usage per mile on 19's (after tuning) is around 316-318 Wh/mi.

In summary:

1. Some factory tuned MS's with 21's may be suboptimal. Consider getting your ride checked by someone you trust.
2. Going to 19's with correct alignment/tuning made a HUGE difference in ride stability/cornering and overall improved ride efficiency and power consumption. Add to that the relative softness/comfort of the 19's and it was a win-win-win.
3. 19's perform as well (if not better) than the 21's after being correctly aligned. I will eventually get some new 21 tires and throw the 21's back on and see how they perform after the tuning. I suspect it will drive insanely well. Hopefully can get 20K miles out of a performance summer 21. That would be awesome.

Hope this helps and I wish every happy motoring!