Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turkey or other wise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overrated

I did over-charcoal "forever", given it up in favour of sous vide (well ... might finish over very hot coals ... but normally just use air fryer on Max Crisp at 240C)

to much work

Bag it, put it in the water bath, forget about it. That's a lot less work IMHO than getting the charcoal lit, waiting for it to come up to temperature, and then tending to the coals etc. Mind you the "cook for 3 days" ones are a faff ... mainly because I am not organised and only start when "Guests are due shortly" :)

if you want a perfect temperature and like your steak looking very pink inside but cooked

Yup, that's true. It definitely needs some help for "browning". I used to use a heavy pan, but that was faff and I didn't think the outcome was good (white hot coals was better, but I rarely bothered with that ... and then I got an Air Fryer ...

They used to complimentary about my BBQ meat, they definitely think that the sous vide is better. Might have something to do with marinade effect and so on, rather than just the cooking.

I had a water bath some years ago - cheap and cheerful to see if we would get on with it. Hard to maintain temperature etc. etc. but then treated myself to a new-style immersion-stick thingie and that just does the job.

Bag it, put it in the water bath, forget about it. That's a lot less work IMHO than getting the charcoal lit, waiting for it to come up to temperature, and then tending to the coals etc. Mind you the "cook for 3 days" ones are a faff ... mainly because I am not organised and only start when "Guests are due shortly" :)

First of all you cant just put it in any bag then you have to very gradually bring it up to temperature in a pan of water. What you will do with it next to give it some colour will determine what temperature that will be... blow torch, grill, frying pan etc.

It takes me 15 minutes tops to get my coals going in a chimney, and you really need to master your style of BBQ.

You do your cooks how ever you want though but If you dont have pictures, it didn't happen :p

Reactions: M1tch
you have to very gradually bring it up to temperature in a pan of water

I definitely don't do that (no idea if I should!). Pop it in the bag, seal it (missed that bit out ...) and chuck it in the water. I preheat the water on the hob, but only 'coz the immersion takes much longer to bring a large pan of cold water up to temperature, but cold water and let immersion heat it up would be fine, just takes a bit longer. The immersion doesn't start the cooking timer until the water is up to temperature (and then sends a message to my phone when its done ... I'm sure I don't need that bit, but 'tis the way-of-the-world now of course ... but if it reminded me to put the plates in the warming drawer, THAT would be useful ...)

It takes me 15 minutes tops to get my coals going in a chimney

Yeah, only took me that long too. But its 15 minutes that I now resent ...

If you dont have pictures, it didn't happen

Good point ... didn't know to need photos when I did my last cook, not sure when next well be, but I'll take a photo for you :)

I have some Winter Squash that I haven't grown before (Crown Prince), first cook recently. Cut that into 1.5" wedges, horseshoe-shaped (once I'd removed the seeds - they are the size of a pumpkin), peeled it, put it in the air fryer for 15 minutes or so until they were charred. Tasted very good - didn't think to photograph that either! Next time ...

I would love to explain to you the "art" of "souvide" but there are plenty of explanations and videos on the web. Its not straight cut and thats before you start asking about rare medium or well done.

However, you do whatever works for you and your guests :)

IMG_7356.jpeg
Tonight’s BBQ food is fully chosen and prepped by my 6 year old! He’s nailed the lamb but homemade port and garlic burgers are a bit out there….

And pineapple and cheese sticks! It’s not 1960 kid! 🤯

Reactions: Js1977