Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turo expands in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rypalmer

Aug 22, 2014
Canada
TL;DR Turo is now operates in Nova Scotia

For a while as a Tesla owner, I enjoyed renting my car out on Turo. The money was decent, but more importantly I was helping the mission by giving people who may not otherwise have the chance to take an extended test drive in an EV to do so. My goal was always for the guests to walk away feeling like they needed to have a Tesla (or at least another EV of their own). I think I was mostly successful. I never had an issue with anyone else using my car.

I also really like renting other people's cars on Turo, EV or not. Just the same as with AirBnb, it's nice dealing with another human over these things. The prices are great and the selection is diverse. Critically now that I have sold my Tesla, it's the only real way to rent a Tesla or any EV for that matter.

Up until now Turo Canada has only operated in BC, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec, but they've just announced they have expanded into Nova Scotia, with further expansion plans to PEI on the horizon.

Peer-to-peer car sharing app Turo launches in Nova Scotia

It's early, but I did a quick search and see no Teslas in Halifax. If you are living in the HRM and can afford to part with yours on occasion, please list it! I'd love to drive yours when I'm back this summer. And I'd love to keep future trips EV-only since I miss mine so much.

DM me if you need a referral code worth $25 USD off your first ride.

Do I need to get special insurance from ICBC? If the renter got into accident, my premium will go up?

There's no insurance. The renter is responsible 100%
Do I need to get special insurance from ICBC? If the renter got into accident, my premium will go up?

You cannot buy any insurance to cover yourself in BC host.
Turo doesn't provide insurance option for BC host.

There's no insurance. The renter is responsible 100%

You cannot buy any insurance to cover yourself in BC host.
Turo doesn't provide insurance option for BC host.
Turo does have their insurance to cover damage by renter, not sure how well or how comprehensive the coverage is. But it is there if something goes wrong.

You MUST let your insurance know and ASK for their PERMISSION to rent out the vehicle. Otherwise your insurance might refuse to insure your vehicle in the future. It is just like driving Uber but don't have proper insurance. If you your insurance is InsureMyTesla by Aviva Canada, they won't let you do it.

Turo does have their insurance to cover damage by renter, not sure how well or how comprehensive the coverage is. But it is there if something goes wrong.

You MUST let your insurance know and ASK for their PERMISSION to rent out the vehicle. Otherwise your insurance might refuse to insure your vehicle in the future. It is just like driving Uber but don't have proper insurance. If you your insurance is InsureMyTesla by Aviva Canada, they won't let you do it.

BC is different from the rest of Canada. It's simple as that.
The rent can have their own insurance and be liable, but I would NEVER rent out my car if I am not protected.

Turo’s protection plan is not available to hosts whose vehicles are listed outside of Alberta, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec. The plans do not apply to hosts who have declined a protection plan in order to provide their own commercial rental insurance to their customers.

This is a great idea! I just checked Turo and I can rent a 2020 Tesla Model Y for under $1,500 for a month. It’s pricey, for sure, but considering the non-existent availability of rental vehicles these days AND the opportunity to extensively test drive a Model Y as I consider ordering my own…this is an excellent option.

Reactions: Vawlkus