Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. rejects broadband subsidies for SpaceX's Starlink, LTD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xepa777

Aug 1, 2017
California

For all the *sugar* Ajit Pai received, he didn't straight up deny hundreds of millions of dollars of funding the way Rosenworcel has. Wow, just terrible, after Starlink has proven its capabilities to 500,000+ users already.

For all the *sugar* Ajit Pai received, he didn't straight up deny hundreds of millions of dollars of funding the way Rosenworcel has. Wow, just terrible, after Starlink has proven its capabilities to 500,000+ users already.

Yep, what a twit. In the article, she objected to the $600 up front fee. But the FCC rules didn't prohibit that. Lawsuit incoming...

To make sure the lead doesn’t get buried, the rejection is based on Starlink not meeting the 100/20 threshold. SpaceX (and LTD) didn’t perform to the level they said they would. Simple as that.

It’s also worth noting there’s more RDOF subsidies available in the future, and SX will surely bid on those.

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau

As a Starlink user, I had 300/80 for about 2 months... These days, I'm lucky to get 40/5 and frequently drop below 10/1. They way oversold (or underestimated usage) and this presumably cost them (and everyone else).

• Informative
As a Starlink user, I had 300/80 for about 2 months... These days, I'm lucky to get 40/5 and frequently drop below 10/1. They way oversold (or underestimated usage) and this presumably cost them (and everyone else).
Watched a video where it suggested when they opened up roaming, a lot of people ordered service based on one address and then used it in another address (presumably already oversubscribed).

• Informative
Watched a video where it suggested when they opened up roaming, a lot of people ordered service based on one address and then used it in another address (presumably already oversubscribed).
I've been house hunting of late - many of those houses are far enough out that they won't otherwise have decent internet service. My plan was, if necessary, to order the roaming service to get up and running immediately and convert it over to fixed service when that became available.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is another source of increased utilization. If the option is 5-10Mb/sec download speeds via DSL then even 40/5 is a no-brainer.