Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some Tesla Model Y owners have done this but the OE front tires do not have the minimum load index rating for the Model Y's rear axle weight rating. If you intend to tow using the Model Y I definitely would not use the 21" OE front wheels, tires in the rear location.

21" wheels:
Front tires: 255/35R-21, XL 98Y (1653 lbs)
Rear tires: 275/35R-21, XL 103Y (1924 lbs)

Load Index:

What is Load Index?

Understanding Tires Load Index VS Load Range

Last edited:
Some Tesla Model Y owners have done this but the OE front tires do not have the minimum load index rating for the Model Y's rear axle weight rating. If you intend to tow using the Model Y I definitely would not use the 21" OE front wheels, tires in the rear location.

21" wheels:
Front tires: 255/35R-21, XL 98Y (1653 lbs)
Rear tires: 275/35R-21, XL 103Y (1924 lbs)

Load Index:

What is Load Index?

Understanding Tires Load Index VS Load Range
Isn’t the load index for the tire not the rim ??

I was gonna upsize them to larger crossclimate 2
As far as I can tell the CC2 tire is only speed rated V (149 MPH). Some sellers, installers may balk at selling/installing a V rated tire on the Performance Model Y (155 MPH top speed.) Unless you run above 149 MPH the CC2 could work. A V rated tire may not have the handling of a W or Y rated tire (the sidewall of the W or Y speed rated tires would be stiffer for better handling at the higher speeds.)

As far as I can tell the CC2 tire is only speed rated V (149 MPH). Some sellers, installers may balk at selling/installing a V rated tire on the Performance Model Y (155 MPH top speed.) Unless you run above 149 MPH the CC2 could work. A V rated tire may not have the handling of a W or Y rated tire (the sidewall of the W or Y speed rated tires would be stiffer for better handling at the higher speeds.)
WHEN I WAS 18 MAYBE BUT NOW 70-80 IF IM FEELING FRISKY BEING IN THE NORTHEAST AKA NYC IM MORE CONCERNED WITH WINTER DRIVING THEN BEING A SPEED DEMON.

Reactions: falcon01