Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unifying the EV community

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reflecting on the emotional comments regarding public EV charging etiquette, it seems humans hold polarizing viewpoints when dealing with a finite resource.
The fact remains that not everyone can afford a Tesla with its range capacity. Until the competition can catch up, our brothers and sisters who believe in electrifying their transportation mode will need easier access to plug in refueling. Hence, like Hunger Games, we find ourselves fighting amongst ourselves and not presenting a unified force to our legislature advocating for more energy plug in access.
London is developing an interesting method to address this need since a majority of residents apparently don't have access to residential charging (a situation i believe alot of our apt and condo residents face).
Read this blog piece regarding streetlight plug in and I wonder if thit is something our collective EV community can rally behind? What do you think?

Charging your electric vehicle from a lamp post has become a thing in London

Reactions: Lsquared
Last edited:
Charging from streetlights has many advantages. You should check out this link with a video from Bobby Llewelyn’s Fully Charger show, detailing lot more info. New technology turns any street lamp into a charging station for your electric car
Seems an obvious choice for this situation and minimally invasive to street infrastructure, esp when combined with upgrading streetlights to LEDs

Yes!!
Completely agree that it's technically doable. I hope my community in HI feels the same way.
I believe we are also in the process of changing our light source to LEDs reducing the burden on the grid. Pay for use is also a key element to making this community initiative financially palatable for political decision makers.

Hi @Chargerfan and @MikeBur,

Those are excellent ideas! I agree that many folks in metro areas who want to go EV will find this is a way to do so. Hopefully, the idea will pick up in major urban areas of the US where there is already clear interest in EVs among those who have their own houses or built-in charging opportunities (e.g., charging stations in parking lots for residents of apartment complexes). Not having access to charging is an acknowledged barrier to EV adoption. Because it is a difficult problem for landlords (whose tenants may not appreciate having charging stations), it is something more likely better handled by governments or major utilities. As usual, California is leading the way in the US. The solutions you guys pointed out, which are being used in London, are a great private sector solution as well.