Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking Car While sitting inside for passengers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There used to be a status bar on top of the touch screen display that had a lock to lock or unlock car when sitting inside. I drive a lot of kids for soccer carpools etc and none of them can figure out how to push the handle for it to pop out and gain access. Do I really have to press the car icon in the lower screen and then the lock button displayed at the top of the car? A one touch button in the Home Screen seems logical.

There used to be a status bar on top of the touch screen display that had a lock to lock or unlock car when sitting inside. I drive a lot of kids for soccer carpools etc and none of them can figure out how to push the handle for it to pop out and gain access. Do I really have to press the car icon in the lower screen and then the lock button displayed at the top of the car? A one touch button in the Home Screen seems logical.
On my Model S, I can just push in the park button at the end of the stalk. I know some/all of the new ones have stalk-less shifting, but not sure what year yours is. If you have one with a stalk, that's the easiest way to extend the handles.

Popping the drivers side door open extends the handles on my 2022 S...

Just tap the lock button on the screen and then unlock again.
I think @Rashell Fong is asking if there is a way to quickly unlock without opening the menu, since you have to click the vehicle settings button to open the screen where you can press the lock button.

As @ohmman mentioned above, you should be able to turn on the “Unlock On Park” option. This should work on both old and refreshed S (on refreshed just press the “Park” button in the top left corner of the screen once you come to a stop, and the handles should automatically extend out).

I guess if you are already in park though, then you would either have to put car in gear and then back in park, or pop open driver door to extend the handles.

With firmware 28.2 update the status bar has been added to 2021+ cars. If stationary the lock symbol appears on top, and you can press to quickly extend door handles. You didn’t mention which year car you have, which could make difference.