Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 12.1.1 scrambles the alphabet?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the update to 12.1.1 my USB thumb-drive file folders are no longer alphabetized!
The top level directory (Bach through Vivaldi) are now scrambled which makes it pretty hard to find my music. The next levels of the file directory are alphabetical so all the individual "songs" are mixed up with respect to composer and not grouped together in tracks (compositions).
The USB drive reads just fine on my computer so it is the new software that has a glitch. Any help here?
(and no, I don't like randomized "songs", thank you)

Tesla is currently pushing out a 2019.12.1.2 version, so it may be fixed there. (I haven't checked mine, so I can't say whether it is fixed with any certainty.)

FWIW, my guess is that what you're seeing isn't technically a scrambling of the order; rather, I'm guessing the headunit is displaying the true unalphabetized on-disk order of the files and directories. Most programs sort files and directories when showing them to users, but the true on-disk order is seldom alphabetized. It's easy to add a parameter to a text-mode command, or for a program to accidentally skip a sort function, to produce an unsorted list. I'm not certain of this, though; I'm just speculating as to the cause of the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
If anyone knows how to fix this file problem please post here! I don't like having to look at the screen too much to find my music that is no longer alphabetized! Surely someone here is software smart??

Try a filename alphabetization program that works at the filesystem level, like one of these, for Windows and Linux, respectively:

Download FAT Sorter 1.0.4.0
Ubuntu Manpage: fatsort - FAT sorting tool

I make no promises that they'll work, but they might. (My media shows as correctly sorted, but it was created that way by the tools I used to copy my files.)