Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upstate NY Tire Options for Perfomance Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a new 2021 Model Y Performance and realized it only comes with summer tires. A summer overlook on my part considering I live in the snowy upstate NY. Luckily I have 3 months to shop around. I'm looking to keep the tires I have for summer and put some cheaper rims and tires. Any recommendations would be great. I would like to keep in under 2k for everything include balancing, sensors and shipping. Thanks Guys :)

Just got a new 2021 Model Y Performance and realized it only comes with summer tires. A summer overlook on my part considering I live in the snowy upstate NY. Luckily I have 3 months to shop around. I'm looking to keep the tires I have for summer and put some cheaper rims and tires. Any recommendations would be great. I would like to keep in under 2k for everything include balancing, sensors and shipping. Thanks Guys :)
You will have limited options under $2,000. The cheapest package I could put together on TireRack with 18" closeout wheels, TPMS, mounting and balancing of Blizzak LM-32 snow tires was over $2,000 before sales tax. If you are willing to use a Cooper studless ice and snow tire, you can get there.

Most of the winter tire packages from Tsportline are well north of $3,000.

The Tesla Gemini/Sottozero 3 package Tesla sells is $2850.

You might be able to find someone selling the stock 19" Gemini wheels for a decent price and put winter tires in those, but you will spend around $1,000 on winter tires in that size (255/45R19).

You will have limited options under $2,000. The cheapest package I could put together on TireRack with 18" closeout wheels, TPMS, mounting and balancing of Blizzak LM-32 snow tires was over $2,000 before sales tax. If you are willing to use a Cooper studless ice and snow tire, you can get there.

Most of the winter tire packages from Tsportline are well north of $3,000.

The Tesla Gemini/Sottozero 3 package Tesla sells is $2850.

You might be able to find someone selling the stock 19" Gemini wheels for a decent price and put winter tires in those, but you will spend around $1,000 on winter tires in that size (255/45R19).
Is the The Tesla Gemini/Sottozero 3 package Tesla sells a good deal?

Is the The Tesla Gemini/Sottozero 3 package Tesla sells a good deal?
If you cannot find Geminis locally, I think it is a good deal. It includes wheels, tires, and TPMS (it does not include the aero covers). Tesla mobile service won’t ever give you grief about that wheel/tire combo if you have an issue.

However, if you can find Geminis locally for say, $1000 or less (including TPMS), then you can be all in for about $2200 when you mount and balance the same Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires. Or you can pick a tire that is more heavy snow-oriented, like a Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3.

Good luck targeting under 2k. OEM's under 1k are hard to find on Ebay. I took me 3 months to find and purchase a set. I plan on installing Michelin Xice tires; they are pricey, but I've had them on several of my vehicles in our upstate winters, and they've never failed me. All told I'll be in for about 2500. You may just want to buy the "winter tire" package from Tesla and save yourself the headache. Good luck!